Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-02-2012   #1
Boise, Idaho
Seasonal / part time jobs and making a living

Call it the wintertime blues here in Idaho...

I'm trying to figure out how some people (maybe some of you) are able to have a part time or seasonal job (or jobs) and thrive.

I know some people, and read about some here, that are able to take a few months off and travel to other places, or take up employment in other countries. Are these people exclusively students? I know a select few who are raft guides in the summer and ski guides in the winter, or who do the raft guide gig in the States in the summer and in warmer climates in the winter... but again a select few.

I have a good job; I have a widely applicable Masters degree. I am single, no kids. But I'm getting bored of the same ol' 9-5 and the 4-5 months of cold weather here. The summer months are amazing and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else; just can't deal with the short days and just-cold-enough weather that kills any spirit and motivation I might have.

How do some of you make this work?

Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I can't speak for anyone other than myself and the handful of boaters here in the Ark Valley I am close with...but we work our asses off in the summer, boating many days around dusk...and save as much as we can. Try to have zero debt, and use the money we save in the summer to enjoy the winter when the work is slow. Most of us that live this lifestyle don't have children, or too many commitments....and generally deplete our savings by the time spring rolls around.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote