Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-28-2009   #21
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
ski_kayak365, I found another paddle blade of yours up on Alto-Alto last year. What's up with you and paddle blades?

As for me, no swims this year but I didn't sack up like I should have...

Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #22
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
So there I was.... Boulder Creek at a burly solid low-medium flow. The Mank Crew was firing on all cylinders as we were hot in the middle of the Total Vertical Feet competition. Christian was leading down lap 4 of 5 of the Pabst Blue Ribbon six-pack challenge. We fired through the elephant buttresses section and into the ever-so dangerous boulder play park. Big boobs and inner-tubes abounded. As we approached huge hole #4 (also know as the infamous Widow-Maker), Christian gave it his all and boofed clean over it. As I approached, I noticed that some fine vixen (or possibly stoned college dude) had lost her tube into the infamous hole, where it was stuck being chundered for all eternity. Unless a hero such as the Huckin Duckie could come to the rescue! As I boofed to land on the tube, it shifted left. So to make good contact, I let my angle get a little left (i.e. sideways). I still didn't manage to land on the tube as planned. Instead, my nose landed on one side of the tube, which instantly flipped it up onto my boat. I had speared right through the hole in the tube and it slid right up to my waist. This immediately slammed on the emergency brake and through me right into the maw of the beast! I decided to pull right away because I was afraid I'd have to puncture the tube across my waist to get out. So long story short, I swam in the Boulder play park.

P.S. Carry a long throw rope regardless of how big a creek you're in. I've needed a full size one on creeks I could wade across.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #23
Bozeman, Montana

don't have to say anything else
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #24
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
So there I was.... Boulder Creek
Joe, that's not a beatdown, that's just embarrasing.
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #25
dropzone, Colorado
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
Joe, that's not a beatdown, that's just embarrasing.
Well said. This thread is a prime venue for the "...there I was, upside down in balls to the wall" yarn, Joe.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #26
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post

don't have to say anything else
what's up with that guy's paddle blade on the far right? is that lower poudre narrows
Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #27
Bozeman, Montana
thats not a guy, thats natalie, todd g in the orange and kyle smoking us
this would be the caspermike got ran over by a chick incident
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #28
Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
- the real question is why Mike's boat is running the narrows race without him? I don't see him swimming to the finish line.

Badazws6 --> Oh right, forgot about that one. And a broken paddle on Alto last season and swam there. I was randomly paddling at 1500 or something, took a stroke, paddle stopped flipped me over, ripped it from my hands and I swam after slamming into a old rusty culvert on the side. Went back for my paddle, found it broken and wrapped around a 1/2in metal cable that was wrapped in the rocks and had a good 10ft out in the current. Lucky it took my paddle and not my neck!
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #29
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I had a big year with four swims. First time clearing 2 in a really long time.

First one was on Fantasy Falls day 2. A huge slide into a monster hole followed by a 6ft pour over. After Eric and I have the basic chat while scouting " I'll jump in and get your boat if you jump for mine" we smile, as we look up at our boats Erics boat decided it has waited long enough and proceeds to fire up the drop while Eric watches the line. The unmaned craft would style the line and eddy out at Bens feet. With a smile Eric says "i'll still jump for yours". Thanks Eric.

Swim 2 was Fantasy Falls day 2 late. The rifleman gorge, I am aggressively boat scouting while leading. I drop off a 8ft pour over that is backed up by a boulder just 2ft downstream. I pin instantly and my elbow pads and paddle are gone. The down pour of water then stuffs me around the rock underwater. I grab the rock and change my angle and now i'm looking into the sky with my body against the rock. Back to under water and so on. I made a decision early on that I couldn't swim in the pocket because I didn't think I would wash out so I kept grabbing whatever I could to upright myself all the time trying to get my boat and myself to a 30inch crack on the right where I knew I could get out. After a minute or so, I got against the right slot upright and washed out flipping as I didn't fit sitting flat, after two missed hand rolls I pull for number 2 of the day and get out quickly as my boat drops into another huge rapid below. Ben and Eric are now throughthe spot I got beat by sliding wet rock far left and I give them directions on the next two big drops from shore. That swim sucked! Rushed a decision and payed the price.

Swim 3 was Fantasy Falls, LMAO! SHOW ME YOUR TITS! Last drop and a legendary rapid at that. We pull into the eddy with Eric yelling "show me your tits, show me"! Bendals looks at me and says, "this one is a mandy" I look at him and say no kidding, I never thought I wasn't gonna run it. I knew before I put on I would be running that drop, as all my friends have swam out of it. Darin says it best, "you run up the middle and deal until you swim, that's how it goes"

The videos I've seen do not even come close to doing this rapid justice, it is huge and burly! I run right up the middle and right into the left side of the hole where I proceeded to pull without a roll attempt, lol. No need getting hurt in that beast. 3 swims on Fantasy and my first swims in Cali ever. 10 yrs of paddling I have not gotten bite off til this year, not sure how I managed that. 2 planned swims and 1 shitty one.

Swim 4 first falls- Bailey. The no scout, hadn't paddled Baily in 4 yrs pocket beat down. Ran the drop how I had a million times before, got a great boof at a two o clock angle off the right landing flat only to get my nose pushed left from the water gushing out of the sieve and into the pocket. Hung on for a while before ejecting out of Forrest's new nomad. I have swam Forrests boats everytime I borrow them, lol. I think he likes it.

That's my year
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009   #30
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I had maybe the least-consequential swim during my first run of SSV. Running with a good crew, I came through a little slotty side-channel a few hundred yards above the narrows, and as I took another paddle stroke my paddle bridged the slot and was yanked backwards over my head. I scrambled and grabbed a tree branch that was sticking off of the island and pulled myself into a leaky micro eddy. I saw my paddle start to float past me as my hands began to strip the leaves off of the little tree branch. I was pulled out of the eddy and frantically hand-paddled towards my wayward paddle, since I could see the 4' ledge drop below me, with a decent hole behind it. I tried to hand-boof when I realized I wasn't going to make it to the paddle in time, but didn't clear the hole. After a couple of window-shadings I pulled, and swam directly into an eddy. My boat pinned 5 yards downstream. I jumped out of the water and ran downstream, picking my paddle out of the next eddy. No muss, no fuss.

craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote