Old 01-19-2007   #1
Sea kayak to run Desolation

A friend and I want to do a self-support kayak trip through gray and desolation canyon of the Green. We could just take two duckies, but that would be too easy. Is it possible to fit everything for 5-day trip in a sea kayak? I'm sure I will need to pack light, but a groover and fire pan are required. Would I be able to handle the rapids in Late May or Early June?

I'm a strong class III paddler.

I began to think it might be possible seeing this:

Any recommendations on the types of boats that might work? I'm thinking a 14' foot rec/tour type?

mudhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #2
The short answer is yes.

I've seen plans for a kayak groover that involved 18" of 4" PVC pipe with a screw cap. poop in a paper bag and drop it in.

deso never gets very hard. As the river comes up, it just gets wider. Never more than class 2 or 2+.

With a boat that big, it should be no trouble to pack. If they insist on a firepan, get a big disposable aluminum roasting pan and fold it up.

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #3
Strap the fire pan to the bottom of your boat and tell the rangers it's a self-righting mechanism.

Now that's funny.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #4
I did Sand Wash to Hite last October, and on the day above the Confluence, we met two folks in sea kayaks who were doing just fine. They had their groover strapped to the top of one of the boats.

A couple of days later, we encountered a self-supported (typical whitewater) kayak trip that had just run the rapids, including the Big Drops in Cataract Canyon. They had stuff strapped on the decks as well -- pretty sure at least one of them had a large water container on his deck....

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #5
Ski Patrol
ExChile does lots of multiday self supported sea kayak trips down class II/III rivers in Southern Chile and Patagonia. Many times the kayaks are fully loaded with all kinds of stuff strapped to the top...
Southern Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007   #6
Deso Kayak self support

I have used a Prijon Yukon with small groover in a hatch, or ahead of feet in cockpit. No problem with gear or water. Use MSR 10 liter bags, between legs or behind seat. there are a couple of springs in Deso with some hiking,. A pump or clorox and a laminated map can help to drain water from rock crevice springs. Have done this and supported another Prijon WW boat with stow float in back and sleeping bag in front of bulkhead. We lived high off hog-no crap on deck, its a pain in rapids. There is room for beer & wine if you play it cool. The Yukon will surf waves pretty well for its size. Avoid boats with pillars or bracing between legs. If you have shorted yourself, just pull up to a float-n-bloat trip and beg.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007   #7
Check the requirements. On Catarct they said that you only need a fire pan if you plan on making fires. A couple of good grovver options are a one gallon plasitc jug, or pop bag from restop. Don't run rapids with stuff on the decks.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007   #8
The pisgah would rock. Becareful about rudder lines. On Cat I had a boat that filled up just through the rudder lines. Make sure that the kayak has a high deck. hardcore sea kayaks have low decks to limit the effect of cross winds. I found that I could fit more in a T-canyon than a 16 ft sea kayak and the T-canyon surfed better. The Yukon Expedition is great. We had a variety of boats. If you have more than five people you might consider bringing a double for the rescue aspect. We paddled a person out that dislocated her shoulder.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007   #9
Just get a sea kayak with compartments that have hatches on them and construct a toilet seat to fit over the hatch and shit in the hatch.
rock_ski_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #10
Thanks for all the advice and humor. I'm tempted to try using a compartment for a shit hold, especially if we use rentals, but I don't think two people could shit that much in 6 days. Plus I don't want to be the person to pump out the smelly mess. Seriously, you all have some creative ideas. I'm thinking the jug or pipe idea will work.

Carrying water sounds like the biggest problem. Are there some good spots to filter or resupply on the river?

I'm going to start looking for some old school whitewater boats or a rental that will work.

mudhut is offline   Reply With Quote