Old 09-04-2013   #1
Perrysburg, Ohio
Sea Eagle 330

Hi All,

New here! I am planning a whitewater trip next weekend to the Gauley river in WV. I do not have a kayak yet. Would a Sea Eagle 330 survive the upper and lower Gauley one time?

monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013   #2
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Don't know Gauley, but 330 is lake toy. Have an older explorer bought off craigslist and wasn't even decent boat til I put in a NRS high pressure floor, a cheetah chair, and more drain holes. Look for a used Aire or Trib. Tributary sells new for $650. Wouldn't buy a Sea Eagle for whitewater again. Just got mine cheap when i was starting out.

formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #3
Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
Regardless of your experience level, whether the boat survived would not be your concern here. The 330 would swamp immediately, so even if you were a boater with class IV and V experience, the ability to maneuver would be lacking. Not being able to avoid the entrapment hazards would be a serious issue.
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #4
Grand Junction, Colorado
I loved my 330 it handled alot of abuse but I think your gonna need something more durable or bring alot of patch kits they rate the craft at class 3 but I think its a high risk to push it that hard hope you have fun!
flipper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Stay in Ohio, you'll live longer.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #6
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
The sport series (like yours)...absolutely no way, no how. It won't bail anywhere close to fast enough and is made of polykrylon (pool toy material) that will taco you to death at best. Avoiding the entrapments on that river would be difficult in it as well. It might make it might not.

I have an explorer series I like alot (380x) and I would only consider a low water summer gauley run in it. I saw a 380x in the gauley during a whitewater release once, more balls than I have for sure. It's not a great heavy whitewater boat.

The explorer series used to be great buys but with the way their pricing has been going up and NRS and Tribs going down, you can get a better deal buying a tomcat or bandit nowadays if you still want an affordable IK.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #7
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
You aren't planning running it yourself are you?? No outfitter would allow that boat in their guided fleet.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote