Old 08-21-2005   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
Schofield Pass, Devil's Punchbowl?

I was wondering if anyone has ever run the two falls on the Crystal side of Schofield Pass. They look very do-able, especially at low water, but I wanted to check and see if anyone has done them or knows someone who's done them before I make the trek. Thanks.

by the way, I'm planning on accessing it fromt the Crested Butte side. Not even thinking about the Marble side.

david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Every paddler in the USA has ran the falls...They are better with more water as the first one hurts with a low water descent..

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #3
pretty sure its still all snowed in.
alacy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #4
That snow has been out of the falls for 2 months. the drops are much better with some water in them.
WAV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005   #5
Drive up the Marble side! The four-wheeling to get up there is half the fun of the punchbowls!
Izza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #6

Poted a pic of the area immediately upstream of the punchbowls. Downstream looks the same. Big slide year on Crystal Peak. Late July 05'.
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #7
I thought the punchbowl was closed from the Marble side to vehicles. Was up there in late June and was told that it had been closed b/c too many dumbasses kept driving off the road???
medman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005   #8
izzat the same punchbowls as on the pic of the day??

what the hell happened in there!!?
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005   #9
You can't drive all the way because of the massive avalanche you saw in the picture. I drove up with my lady in mid/late July just to check it out and you had to stop about a half mile from the falls and walk over snow mixed with avy debris although I bet alot more of that snow has melted by now. As far as dumbasses driving off of the road there is a sign warning only experienced four wheel drivers should proceed - but there are plenty of places to turn around.
Izza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005   #10
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
schofield pass (the road the punchbowls are on) is an extreme 4 wheel drive adventure. the crux move on the road is on the road directly above the punchbowls, where the road narrows to 7-8ft across and goes over a slanted rock that wants to roll you off the cliff. below the punchbowls, before Crystal City, there was an accident in 1970 that claimed 12 lives, and in 1998ish there was another accident in almost the same spot that killed like 6 people. I saw the wreckage from the second one, and there wasnt much left. Use caution if youre driving in that area.

as far as creeking goes, the punchbowls both go, as do some of the creek above that. has anyone been on the river from the punchbowls to crystal city? id imagine it to be fairly consistent steeeeep creekin but most of that distance trees block views of the river, so its hard to see from the road. anyone been down in there to scout? a longer south fork of the crystal would be an awesome compliment to the already steep creek runs in that area (NF Crystal, Crystal Gorge, Yule)

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote