Old 02-24-2005   #11
I did !!!

Write a LETTER, do it now !!!!
Or you might not need to later!!!

rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #12
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Does it make any sense to make an appeal on Boater Talk? Maybe some out the of staters could call and express their opinions as well? I plan on calling my senator tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the information you guys have been posting I am learning alot.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #13
I just read this bill and can someone tell me of a single instance it would apply
OK. I can think of three, maybe four examples:
1) Denver suburbs or perhaps Co. Springs are looking to get more water by doing the following: Pumping more out of the Ark from the Otero pump station north of BV. The water will then follow the current infrastructure along the South Platte to the South Front Range. But, all the water rights for the Ark are spoken for. So, to "replace" the removed water, they are looking at building a new reservoir on the Taylor or Gunnison River, which will deliver water over the divide into Cottonwood Creek and down to the Arkansas River. The problem is that they are taking water out of the Ark above BV but replacing it below BV, which will significantly hurt the BV play park. The BV play park is being significantly upgraded and will be real cool. This dam project would also steal water from the Gunnison play park.
2) Steamboat has a play park along the Yampa. It's easy for farmers downstream to sell their water rights to farmers upstream. This is where the sponsor of the bill is located and it is certainly the farmers that motivated this bill. What gets me is the farmers up there use the water very inefficiently by just flooding fields to grow hay, which has low dollar value.
3) There are a number of big water diversions upstream of the planned Palisade water park. While those rights (~1000cfs) are senior to the water park, they leave enough water in the river. But, if they decide to double the diversion upstream, the play park will be hurt.
4) The city of Golden diverts its water from Clear Creek above the play park. While they don't divert much and they are pro water park, what if other larger municipalities acquire Clear Creek water and want to divert it from above the play park?

You get the idea. I'm sure there are other circumstances. While it may be more convenient for a water user to divert water from above a play park, the current law effectively says they can't move a diversion upstream after a play park is in operation.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #14
Let me try to explain what this means for Clear Creek. Harvey or others in the know jump in and correct if I am off base.
Golden was awared 1000cfs by the courts 2 years ago. This has nothing to do with water releases. This just states that Golden is guaranteed 1000cfs for the whitewater park during peak run off months. Now if Clear Creek does not go over 1000cfs in the summer none of this pertains.

Example in the future , new jr water rights on Clear Creek are needed from the front range and mountain communities. They will only be able to take water from the park if it is over 1000cfs. So Clear Creek might be running 1500cfs up by Hermits but becuase of these new future water rights and Goldens 1000cfs gurantee the white water park was granted, Golden will have 1000cfs in the WW Park in Golden. The Jr water rights would be able to take 500cfs out above the park because that is how much is over the 1000cfs garantee. I know this is a little confusing but I hope this helps. On Clear Creek this has nothing to due with water releases. If they change it to 350cfs might as well take up a new sport becuase paddling in a maximum of 350 doesn't cut it.

mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #15
It just took me about 1 minute to call my senator. If everybody does that then it could make a huge diffrence.
Cheers, Jeff
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #16
Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I sent an email to my rep and his Spam filter kicked it back to me. So much for technology. I guess the phone is the best solution.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro" -HST
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #17
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
My Sen Rep. & Sen Pres. Joan Fitz-Gerald Will be Voting

I will be voting NO on this legislation when it is heard on Second Reading on the floor of the Senate on Friday, February 25. Senate President Joan Fitz-Gerald.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005   #18
Just left a message for good ole Jack Taylor. Our area has been able to slip through the cracks for the most part in regards to water rights so far but has become a larger target in the past few years. While ranching is a vital part of our community and the state, this bill could cause a lot of harm for many rivers in years to come.

I pleaded with him to reconsider his position, but I doubt that is going to happen since he is one of the main people who got this ball rolling. Special interest groups are trying to control our water in this state just like oil and drug companies are affecting our government branches.

Please look at the post on the first page and see who your rep is and how they voted on this. That is who needs to be pushed. So far the responses I saw listed were already against the bill.

Kent from Blue Sky West has been VERY vocal and active against this and I wish he had more help, including from myself. It is so easy to get side tracked with our daily lives and then all of a sudden something like this is upon us. I wish I knew more about how this will specifically affect us beyond just being able to enjoy the local play spot. The big picture is what scares me the most.

Take the time, spread the word. Maybe someone can point out main objectives that commoners like me can bring up if we actually get someone on the phone. I did my best to not just say "this sucks and I am against it because, well you suck" sort of a thing.

WspSteamboater is offline   Reply With Quote