Old 08-14-2009   #41
new meadows, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1990
I have had a Saturn raft for three seasons , I have used this boat as a paddle raft , also with a stern mount frame and as an expedition boat. This boat rocks ,I have never had one problem , I would take this boat anywhere , I have had it on the main Salmon,Middle fork of the Salmon,Locsha at 18000cfs ,all of the Payettes except the North Fork, the Bruneau, upper and lower OYE's.,Hells Canyon and it totally performs . I totally recommend these rafts they are light and handle great you can move them anywhere you need to be on the river. I own a 14' ,and plan on getting a 15'6" as a bigger gear boat . Don't be afraid of the price ,they are very well built ,I have never had to add air because of leaks in fact it still has the original air in it from the first time I inflated it . This is one great boat!!

jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #42
Los Angeles, California
Paddling Since: 2007
Go for top quality

Don't rush, safety should always come first. Invest in high quality equipment so it's long-lasting.

PepperEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #43
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Originally Posted by thogan View Post
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with these rafts? Looking for 1st raft for easy whitewater class III. Downfalls to PVC construction.? The pricetag seems to good to be true.
I have been over a few class III pour-overson shosho and the short buss seems to hold up fine. If I get 2+good years lesrning how to guide a paddle raft it was worth the money. and rm rafts has been there for anything I needed to keep me on the river. for a first beat the shit out of boat I say it kicks ass. easy to move around the water adn can take some good abuse. I give it a 3+out of five. if It takes the abuse next year I will push it up to a 4-4+.still got a month left on the river this year.let you know when she becomes a sled
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009   #44
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
At one time or another I've rowed just about every brand and construction type of raft, Including both the new and old model Saturn's. While it's not my favorite boat in the world, I doubt I could tell the difference if you blindfolded me. I also ran the older boat over a submerged, pointed stick that would have torn my aire cat tubes a new one. No damage, not even a minor scuff. They're tough, they handle well, and the price is right. If that's not enough, there seems to be more than a few people who've chimed in that have had boats on the water for 4+ years and they're still going strong. Like RM rafts said, if you can afford the Lexus, then by all means buy it. I've met these guys on two occasions and was impressed by the fact that they're able to talk about their product without talking down other products. That, to me says a lot.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009   #45
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1978
"Glued" PVC is a misnomer

See this post:

Originally Posted by DanRauer View Post
Save your money and buy a better boat. I believe that those boats are glued PVC. If you go PVC, try to get one that is welded PVC like Aires or Jack Plastic. Generally glued PVC boats don't last very long and are built cheaply. For the price you pay, you can get a great used boat and be alot better off.

rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote