Old 01-07-2007   #1
SLC, Utwah
satellite phones

Anybody ever rented one? Looking for suggestions on where to rent and what to rent. THX KRIS

AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #2
Boulder, Colorado
We've rented one from an outfit in Fla. a couple of times. I'm pretty sure it was global:

We took one down the Escalante in UT 2 yrs ago May and it worked as promised. But don't sit under a cottonwood and expect it to see the satellites! Doh. They ship it to you 2nd day air and you do the same on the return. It ended up being like $75-100 for a week in the end. It does have free incoming text messages (17 characters or so) so you can receive those important All OK at Home or PHONE HOME messages without dialing up. We got 2 batteries and used only one in 5 days, chencking in every day or 2.$1.49/min to call when you need it.

I heard there was a place in Cherry Creek? that rented them, some travel store, but I'd rather let airborne do the driving.

yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #3
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We rented a phone from Cascade Outfitters last fall for a Main Salmon trip. Reception was spotty, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.
As I remember, costs were similar to what Jim has posted above.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007   #4
on your sister, ...
Realize Globalstar sat phones have limitations on coverage. Check this link to see if the coverage will work for your needs...

Also, if the area you are going to is in the yellow band of coverage then go Iridium. You will have allot of trouble with dropped calls otherwise.

Get Iridium for true worldwide coverage. You can be on the North Pole or in the middle of the Pacific and you will have coverage. Not the case at all with Globalstar.

I've used and they did a good job/fair price.
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #5
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
on the trips I have been on where someone had sat phones, twice they were used to call the shuttle driver and once when we wanted to call the shuttle driver the phone was inoperable because it got wet inside a pelican case which was inside a dry box which was in a boat that wrapped.

anyone ever actually used one in a real emergency where you couldn't deal with everything within your group? please share it might be educational or at least entertaining.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #6
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I had a trip (pre sat phones, or at least reasonably available ones) where we needed to call out, and it was a real pain hiking around the canyon to find the one spot where our emergency radio could reach the repeater. Even then communication was spotty at best. We were hoping to get assistance with a recovery (don't ever underestimate foot entrapment), but ultimately got it on our own and just used the radio to coordinate with the rangers/sheriff for an ahead of schedule take out.

To tie to another thread - I was working that trip before I had taken a swiftwater course. Anyone who boats really should be swiftwater trained...
__________________ is online now   Reply With Quote