Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-16-2011   #1
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
San Juan River, mexican hat to clay hills this week

It's nice to hear a little talk about the San Juan. I've been getting a little worried about what I've heard in the last day or so. Flows are lower than expected. First time from Mex hat to Clay Hills. but did both stretches up river prior years. ... what can I expect this year? Can I do 17 miles in first day through goosenecks? second day 15 miles so we can hike JOHNS CANYON (any idea if its worth checking out) ... if that all works out. I've covered more than 30 of the 56 so I've planned relaxing days after that. Just wondering if this is still " do able" at really low cfs as it is now? ... party of 7 signing off.

Instant Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #2
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
just got off in mex hat yesterday with a flow around 1000. had the duckie scout the sand bar love. Older group passes us before take out and they were were doing twenty yesterday. Did a trip at 400 with a 14' a few years a go. gets a little slammy through government.

rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
Got off yesterday, too. We put on the 11th @3pm with a slight head wind and still averaged @4.5mph, getting to mm37 before 5pm, our first camp. Second day cruised right along to Honaker. Check out the hike. It may be one of the best canyon-out hikes you'll ever see. Always a favorite with us. Floated down to Slickhorn the next day- 22 miles of wonderful lazy hotness with a splash of Govt Rapid. Checked the flows and saw the rio dropped to under 1000cfs but were still able to average @4mph. There always seems to be decent flows above the old lake level. The last day from Trimble (don't stay there if you can... why do I always get that one?!) was a bit of a slog but still made it to CH in under 4 hours (12 miles or so). Never hiked John's. Still can't find the petroglyphs at Grand Gulch (great camp) but always love the Juan. Go for it over 400-500cfs. As long as the head winds aren't an issue you should be fine.
mtnrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011   #4
el paso, Texas
Paddling Since: 1979
Headed that way tomorrow. Launch Thursday morning from Sand Island. Water should be around 1400-1500 so it should be an easy ride.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote