Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-21-2012   #11
Jenks, Oklahoma
I have done it several times and we take 7 days. Lots to see and do off the river. Not having to make a bunch of miles makes for a much more relaxed mellow trip or at least for us it is. If you do the entire distance, water up at Mexican Hat. Have lunch there, hike up for water and ice cream!

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey WillYates. Is that picture from the San Juan? I didn't think they allowed dogs on that stretch? We would love to take our river dog sometime if possible.
+1 on water & ice cream at MH. Leave yourself plenty of time for the last day. Depending on the water level, you may have to drag boats off sandbars. It helps a lot if you have someone in a kayak or ducky who can lead the way & find the deeper channels. We made our kayakers & duckies earn their keep on the last day.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #13
Summit County, Colorado
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Hey WillYates. Is that picture from the San Juan? I didn't think they allowed dogs on that stretch? We would love to take our river dog sometime if possible.
That picture is actually Westwater last March.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012   #14
cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
We went 2 yrs in a row on or about the first of June. First year the water was around 1000cfs(very low). On the river about 4hrs a day. At low water wind is a bear. Last year we planned a camp every 12 miles or so. The level was around 3800cfs, we were on water only about 2hrs a day. Water level will determine camps. Honecker is a nice layover camp acct. of walking trail. Johns camp is really nice. I guess we didn't pull permit this year,if you need more rafters,we would like to go. This is a good river for kids. my email is rikit@bresnan.net
rti50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I wouldn't call 1000 cfs "very low". It can be run down to about 500 cfs. I am still trying to catch it at 500 cfs someday, but it was fine at 750 cfs. With the current reservoir elevation, we are looking at a 1-week, 5000 cfs release with the Animas River peak this year, unless we can get some large late season storms in the San Juans.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012   #16
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
First time you run San Juan, You're going to miss some things. Probably gonna miss 75% of whats down there. That's why you will go again and again.
Especially if you run it in 5-6 days. 7-8 is much better. Sometimes what others have done is not what you want to do. Like "Honnaker" for instance. If you don't wish to hump it up that trail. There's no reason to stay there. It's an adventure. Get the map book so you know where your at. Last minute advice can be givin' by the "Mild to Wild" guides that will more than likely be there launching the Big Blue Dibs. Good Luck, Have fun. One of the greatest river canyons you could ever spend time in.

Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote