Old 09-17-2010   #1
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
San Juan Goosenecks at low water...

Some buddies and I were looking to do the lower section of the San Juan in duckies in a few weeks. We usually do the upper stretch as a fall float, so this is new territory. The river is at 685 right now, and I'm not expecting a huge bump anytime soon. I know the San Juan has a nice gradient for a desert float, but I've heard it stagnates near the end as it enters Powell. Has anyone floated this stretch at this level? I'm wondering if its horribly brutal flatwater or just a little bit of paddle work at the end?

lookinathesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #2
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
We did a ducky trip several years ago on the lower half at 700 cfs - had seven duckies and I was raft support in my 13' Avon. That was our first run on the San Juan, and we tried to run from Slickhorn to Clay Hills in a day - BIG (nine hour) mistake. Of course it was also in late June and it was 100 degrees. I think as long you plan on two days from Slickhorn to Clay Hills, you'll be fine. Oljeto is a great camp if you can get it. Watch for the sand waves and braids, follow the channel and you'll be fine.

jamwin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #3
Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Duck Trip!!!

Good Morning,

My Girlfriend and I ran this stretch last fall in our Duckies in only 3 days + 2 miles the first day (put on friday night, took off Monday afternoon)...When we put on the water was at 345 if I remember correctly...under 400. We worked really hard with some looooong 20-25 mile days but got er done. In the goosenecks the current is strong and fun and any level. When we got off and I looked, the water spiked to a little over 700 (I believe I estimated 650 at the time we ran Government.) Definately scout Government.

Our final day was a pain in the ass, it always is on this strech though. As has been posted on this forum before, the last 16 miles, basically from Slickhorn down is the lake with really no current at all. If you can, try and break this stretch up into two days. At lower water the channels can actually be easier to read because they are more obvious, but we still drug our boats numerous times...even in Duckies (overloaded duckies though!)

We were fully self-support and it worked out fine. I don't think I would take a raft down there under maybe 600 or 550, but in ducks you should be ok. If you have the time I would camp at Honniker (mile 45) and do the hike to the rim. We did the hike a week before we launched from the top down last spring and it took us about 4 hours. From the bottom up I bet it would be closer to a 3 hour is 3,000 elevation change over 3 miles I believe.

Stop at John's Canyon camp if you is awesome even if the water-fall isn't running. Stay at Slickhorn and hike into the canyon, swimming pools and such. Grand-Gulch camp offers hikes up into the Anasazi realm and whatever you do DON'T camp at Trimble doesn't exist any longer (at least from what I remember last spring). If you can get a Navajo permit, try and score Oljato camp for your last night and hike up into that canyon as well....awesome!

Go for the trip, hope it is a good time for you...pack light!

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Decided to not change the Navajo release before the weekend. Flows seem to be stabilizing as of this morning just above 600 cfs at Shiprock and Four Corners gages. Downstream water use and/or higher temperatures could cause the river to fall further, but I am hopeful things will stay around 600 cfs. If flows do decline, a change in release can be made as early as Tuesday, then it takes approximately 4 days for the water to reach Bluff, so there is a chance of low flows occuring this weekend into early next week if losses in the river increase more than what is currently observed. FYI - Ryan
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010   #5
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I've floated it as low as 400 cfs in a 18' Leopard with 2 passengers--no problem. The last day from Oljeto was not too bad at all--pushed maybe a half dozen times. Duckies should be much easier if they are moderately loaded.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote