Old 01-04-2013   #1
4Corners Riversports
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
San Juan Fee Increase & Draft Plan

ATTN All San Juan River Lovers:

The BLM has proposed a 66% user fee increase for the Lower San Juan River in 2014 to cover “increased operational costs”. The public comment period for this proposal ends Jan 25th.

If you plan on visiting the Lower San Juan in the future, we would encourage you to read through the plan and submit any comments you may have to the BLM. You may email your comments to

You can view the plan at:

The official press release can be found at Draft Business Plan for the San Juan River Available for Public Comment

Among some of the additional changes proposed in the plan are:
  • A permit application fee
  • An online permit application
  • Shortened permit season (April 15 thru July 15)
  • Increased River Patrols & on-river compliance checks
  • Increased environmental protection & restoration
  • Additional River Rangers
  • Improvements to Sand Island and Monticello Field Office
Some things that are NOT discussed:
  • Future structural improvements to the Sand Island boat ramp or structures downstream of Sand Island, including the Mexican Hat launch site, lower canyon camp sites, or the Clay Hills takeout.
  • A combination of the San Juan River and Navajo Nation permits.
Please help us to make the San Juan River an enjoyable and attainable experience for all river lovers for years to come by submitting any comments you may have (positive and/or negative) to the BLM in regards to this Draft Plan.

__________________ / 1-800-426-7637
360 S. Camino Del Rio, Durango, CO
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #2
I say enough with the fees! We don't need another parking lot paved. We certainly don't need any more river patrols. Done by more "rangers" we don't need. You need a better volunteer program. To help with the restoration.

Take some accountability in ur government jobs. Quit asking for the money cause you can. Why don't we leave it as wilderness. And maybe not pave that trail.

All you go geters who think its great to have more "big brother " go ahead and start the flaming now. But I think enough is enough. Its not ok to double the fees and then add extra ones. Balance ur budget with what you have. Just like I do in my house.

Toshkya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013   #3
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
you obviously dont know jack. i work for the forest service and all we hear are complaints when we can't keep up with trail maintaince because we cant afford to staff our crews. so we increase fees and inform the public why, and again they complain only this time it is because of increaased fees to take care of stuff like trails that people use. If it weren't for these agencies, their fees and their employees you wouldn't have nice places to boat. i bet you have never thought about who picks up trash and cleans the shitters at all these put ins and take outs. without your "big brother" it would be a shit hole. go ahead and complain all you want but you will continue to bitch and moan when big brother isn't there to clean up your shit or thake care of the rivers you use.
ajacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #4
That's kind of my point, there are plenty of places for aunt Betty to go see the mountains. She can get out of her car walk the .6 miles up the trail to see her destination with the 30 other people who wanted to go see it. But that's not the wilderness I wana go see. I don't wana see ur man built trails everywhere!

What if I were to complain that there wasn't enough natural wilderness left. Would the forest service here that complaint? Or would they ignore that one, knowing that would mean less jobs in there office. But if aunt Betty complains about stepping over a fallen tree on the trail, that she feels like she payed way to much to hike up. She then feels like she has the right to complain.

And I never said no fees. I'm saying they don't need to be doubled Work in ur budget.

Now enough of my complaining, here's a suggestions that might help. Make volunteer permits for the river. Have a list of things that need to be done on the river. Have a free permit a week which the group spends a day doing the volunteer work. Whether it be maintaining trails or cleaning up trash or whatever. That way boaters get a free permit, forest service gets there work done for free. Win win.
Toshkya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
A good read on this subject. "Mountains without Handrails".
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote