Old 01-28-2005   #1
Send a message via AIM to pablito Send a message via MSN to pablito Send a message via Yahoo to pablito

Anyone who is at least 6'2" paddle the salto? how comfortable is it or is it at all ? It seems to be an awsome boat I'm just wondering how big-guy freindly it is. thanks in advance for any input

pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #2
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Great Boat, real responsive and good for frontrange mank. I'm 6'0, 180 with a 32' inseam. If I wanted I could move the bulk head back another 4 notches (1 notch~1inch). Probrably could put a Cuurs party ball in the back (see ender machine) if I really wanted some punishment and interesting lines. Plastic holds up real well, but I do think there was a batch of Salto's last year that had defective plastic, so look out. Good rocker, outfitting is a little neolithic but I think these issues have been addressed. Make sure you get a nosecone. I've heard they won't warranty damaged bow's without nosecones. This is all second hand knowledge so I'd check into it. I probrably have one last season on my 2001 Salto. After 2005 frontrange abuse, I'll go out and get another one.

PS your weight will be the determining factor as to how it paddles. If your over 200lbs I'd look into something else

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
PHILLIPS is pretty much correct. And additionally correct with the weight comment at the end. I am 6.1 205 33 inseam and it fits great, but paddled better when I was around 190. I am a VERY happy owner of several Salto's. In most folks opinions it's one of the best creek boats ever. Very good at Boofing, rolls well, and overall gives you a very good/stable feeling when paddling. Never giving up any big surprises at the wrong times etc...

If you are 190 or smaller it's a must, if over 200 I would look into the Nomad.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #4
oh yeah
in addition the salto solo boats (without paddler) very well. i've had the opportunity to see my salto style the narrows of the clear creek twice and kirschbaum once. it came out of the river (reluctantly) with a few scratches but no worse for the wear. i understand kent has a similar story of letting his salto go from the bottom of tunnel.
as was said add a nose cone for the anticipated pitons on solo descents.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #5
Boise, Idaho
I had to abandon my Salto in the hole of Jaws I on the NF Payette. It then ran Jaws II and III solo and pinned below. When I was finally reunited with my dear boat it's nose was totally caved in. I felt sooo bad. I quickly took it home and poured boiling water into the bow. Before I could even find something to pound it out with it just poped back into place. I love this boat. I only weight 160 (tops) but will paddle this thing until it springs a leak. Then I'll get another. I've paddled it on smaller volume stuff, but paddle in on my backyard big water run everyday and it does great in both. The moral of this post is this boat is very good on all types of water and tough as nails. If you can fit into it go for it.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #6
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Yeah Dan your right my Salto got away from me once last year in Tunnel and I didn't see it again til after Kirsch (were you there?). Thank god it was all in one piece (except for a gash in the nose - see nosecone). Must have been a full moon because that same day Chrispy, ACC and I all swam tunnell. I maybe could have fought it, but by that time I was already swimming for shore.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005   #7
I agree with above that it will fit you fine comfort wise, but I have to dissagree about the weight requirements. I weigh about 185 and I didn't like the way it paddled at all. I think the design is good, but it would probably work best for someone under about 175. With my weight it felt like it was sluggish and dove deep off of drops. I think a higher volume version would be an excellent design. It is true that the black line around the nose can crack due to weak bonding of the two plastics if it has the COEX (sp?) system. I think some of the newer models only use the one plastic system, which should fix that problem.

I know there are plenty of hardcore Salto fans out there that are ready to attack me, but he ask for opinions so I gave it. I am also an Eskimo fan and have been paddling a Cero for years.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005   #8
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I'm 6'1", 180lbs and love it. She boofs well and punches holes much better than some of the bath tubs on the market today. It also has edges which make it a more agressive creeker.
If you're interested in a new one, I might know where to find one (303) 594-9733

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote