Old 04-06-2004   #1
Salt/ Taos Box Report

We put in at 1200 cfs and took out at 1000 cfs., with a drop to nearly 800 in between Water was still at very acceptable levels and our boats were rigged light. Our group was one of several that put in on Monday and took out on Friday. We encountered each other several times down the river and spent much “quality time” together. Weather was cooler than the earlier trip on the week of 3-13.

On this trip elements of two groups met in Snowflake and stayed at an inexpensive motel for a last shower and breakfast before starting the adventure. We debated putting in at Exhibition campground in order to avoid “Bump and Grind rapid”, but putting in at Mule Hoof was well worth the shallows for the extra rapids. We met a third group on “night zero” that gave us a constant source of laughter with their cast of characters and antics.

Food was of top-notch quality with Seafood Gumbo and Cornbread an elk-jalapeno-cheddar summer sausage appetizer one night. Other meals included steak chili, spaghetti, chicken fajitas, and cheeseburgers. Breakfast were simple yet satisfying with cheesy eggs, bacon, home fries, bagels, co-co puffs and coffee. We all choose to supply our own lunches (I had jerky, trail mix and oranges)

Some sections of the river were challenging because of lower water levels and the boats had to be dragged across the shallower sections. At Gleason Flats we spent a layover day and hiked to an old mine site. Our best campsite was probably at Coon Creek, which offer great hiking (a snake was seen) and protection from the wind.

We met another group and shared many hours or fun times and began writing a book titled “Views from the Groover and other raft camping observations”. Although our new cause of “Save the Tammies” may not be that popular. More promising is our new river drink of Rite Aide Cola and Jack Daniels we dubbed “Jack Me Rite”. I’m still waiting to see Jay juggle coals from the fire…and other stupid raft guide tricks…

The water level on the Salt peaked early this year and while it may still be a great kayak/ducky run, I think the Salt has given 3 weeks of great rafting trips and may have one more. Of course we could also catch a flash flood.

On the way back to Colorado I met some friends from Grand Junction, Vail and Denver to run Taos Box. We launched at 1000 cfs and it was an excellent run!!! It was my first time and I will definitely be back although it’s 450 miles from my house. One of our cats did suffer significant damage but no flips in our group. We even had a Creature Craft (an odd looking, two person, three dimensional thing that performed well).

Special thanks to all who made these 9 days memorable: Hoss, Ty, John, Chris, Michael, Racheal, Steve, David, Jay, Jim, Lisa, Trish, Paul, Dustin, Jinx, Karen, Dana, Greg and the rest! Let’s do it again!!

Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004   #2
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
what day were you there on Taos Box? We were there from Friday until Sunday. Camped out at the 2nd campground down from the take-out

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004   #3
Box camping

Got there on Friday night and stayed until Sunday. Boated on Sat. and hung out by the take out bridge on Sunday. Went to party in Taos on Sat. night. Lots of us got lost on the way out beause "the man" closed the campground by the bridge (our meeting spot).

Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004   #4
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde

cool.... we were in the campground just before the one that was closed
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote