Old 04-16-2008   #41
Boulder, Colorado
Questions on the ski course: How will the ski course be marked? Will there be any marshals on the course? How "rolling" is the course towards the bottom - in other words, is it downhill enough that it will be easy to keep a glide going? Finally, is there snow the entire way?

BoulderGlisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #42
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
snow all the way to the transition except for three patches that are about 2 ski lengths long. You can glide/skate/pole all the way down through the bottom, there is very little true uphill other than the beginning of the course heading out the crest.

the ski course will be very well marked. Search and rescue will be on the course but their job is safety, not Marshalling. We will go over the course at the competitor's meeting Friday night and again on Saturday morning if you can't get here Friday. Thanks! Mike

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #43
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
What a great day yesterday. Almost perfect. Beautiful weather, smoking fast times, and a fun after party combined to make the return of the Salida 3P a success.

Jesse Rickert, now the 4 time champ in the individual men's was his usual, energizer bunny, self hammering from the top of Monarch Pass to Salida in 2:25. Without a doubt the surprise of the event, that everyone was talking about was the showing of the Lacy boys. Mason, 18, was second overall and his younger brother Spencer (16) was third. These two are going to be hurting feelings for years to come at races all over the place. Dad, Gary came in 7th overall. That is a fast family.

Maria Kallman of Boulder won the women's individual and Team Cliffbar Keen set an all time course record of 2:18 in the coed category, 3 Braun Blondes is now the 4 time womens team champ (with my wifey holding down the ski section) and Bird Construction won the Men's with super consistent efforts on all three legs.

The first annual Paul Byers Off The Couch Award, given to the competitor with the highest finish, who combines the latest registration, with the worst gear, was won by...Paul Byers. Paul came in 4th on some super wack gear. It is going to take a really special competitor to unseat this guy from his namesake award.

The personal highlight for me was having Hobie drink a beer, filtered through a hole in the toe of my bootie, to settle a bet we made on who would have the faster paddle time. Those booties have been my go to footwear since 2002. Hope you are feeling allright Homey.

Thanks to everyone who came out and supported the event! This race took an army of volunteers and I am super indebted to all of them for their hard work. Thanks also to all of our sponsors. Can't wait until next year! Here are the results
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #44
Boulder, Colorado
Way to go Maria, looks like the sea kayak did the trick.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #45
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
That was a great time. My first PPP race but not my last. Special thanks to Mike Harvey for all his work and all the folks behind the scenes to make it happen. It is a huge endevour with all the race stages and transitions. Also big thanks to my team which I hate to spell out here "Doin' it with two dudes". Named by our female team member, Lonnie. 3rd place in our first year made the taste of Mike's foot funk a bit more tollerable. Worst bootie beer of my life. Thanks for not rinsing it out.

Team Dagger
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008   #46
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Great race!

Just wanted to say that Mike, Robin, et al, all did an amazing job on the 3P race this weekend--the event went off without a hitch, the weather was perfect, the food and beer were excellent, and it was really fun. Many thanks to everyone involved!!

Mike, I told you I thought once was gonna be enough, but I'll definitely be back next year--I gotta step it up!

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote