Old 02-06-2008   #1
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Salida East to Rincon this weekend?

Does anyone know if there are any ice dams on this section right now? I am thinking about rafting it on Saturday! Any info will be helpful.

ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Hope you like pushing. I did it at about double the current flow and scraped more than expected in my kayak (still thought it was a lot of fun, though). I won't say it can't be done (because it probably can be, barring ice dams) but most people stop having fun at a certain point (and my standards are WAY lower than most people's). That being said, I'm jonesing enough that it sounds like a good time right now....

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #3
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The Swissvale bends were jammed up solid a couple of weeks ago and it really has not warmed up down here since. The flow is no problem...I run it low with my family this low and lower all the time, but it is way too cold bro. Ice every morning this winter and massive ice jams in the shady sections of the canyon. Go skiing..
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
talking about jonzing. im having withdrawl sysmptons common with that of a crack head. I'm serious the ends on my arms start to shake and my head feels all weird like im in "fear and loathing in las vegas" and i keep on shaking. i can't get kayaking off my brain for 2 secs unless im having some killer s*x, or smoking a fatty.

anybody else every have this happen
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #5
Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Man Caspermike sounds like you have it BAD! Gotta admit I am SO ready for spring! I moved from Northern California this fall and didn't fully realize the gravity of moving to a state where everything freezes! (I never knew there was such a thing as an ice dam!) Spring can't come fast enough.
Here is how I new I had it bad...

I too can't get kayaking off the brain, usually I am day dreaming about cleaning some tough drop and it is wonderful, but lately even my day dreams where I suffer a horrific beatdown are just amazing, yes that is right I am day dreaming about my swims and enjoying it. I think we should start a "new" addage so it can become an "old" addage...we all know it's true...

It is better have been beaten down and swam than to have never been on the river at all.

sorry for the topic digression
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
yah,I'm about ready for a good beatin' ,get that over with early this year
cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #7
Ice last weekend

I just came by that stretch this past weekend returning from a hut trip. I can't remember if they were that far up, but there were definitely a number of ice bridges still. They thinned out a bit from Friday to Monday, but there were still some present. Sorry I can't remember specific locations for you.

TimmyHo is offline   Reply With Quote