Old 05-07-2005   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Saint Vrain question

has anyone run the saint vrain below Black Bear Hole? what is there? I'm thinking of checking it out but I wanted to know if anyone else knows what I would be getting myself into!!

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #2
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
i'm not completely sure.. but i don't think it's a very good run. I think there are a couple irrigation diversions, and alot of private property if you float more than a mile or so down below black bear. plus it's not even deep enuf to roll in most places. It's a nice easy class 2-3 float above the hole tho, if you start at the lyons WW park. there are 11 or so little man made drops with good eddies on both sides, down to black bear hole, with that being the biggest drop. it's like golden with more features. the air smells better too

chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005   #3
Boulder, Colorado
I've done the WW park in lyons a lot, but the water level is really low right now so I was looking for other alternatives. thanks for the response
Old 05-07-2005   #4
The section above Apple valley bridge

should be running soon, I would be more than happy to show you down that...Way better than below BB hole or the park
THorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #5
Engineering Geek
Lower, Lower St. Vrain

Couple of us who live in longmont had the same thought. (Thought it would be fun to float from Lyons down to the Lefthand brewery.... )

Have scouted it from the roads & from the air. 1 big lowhead/diversion shortly below BB hole. Multiple diversions, culverts, rock jumble slides, barb wire fences and beaver dams from 36 down to the St.Vrain road bridge. Would need a lot of water, and a lot of portaging. Much more of an "adventure" than a float. Plus, lots of private land & people not used to seeing people on "their" river, I'm sure.

The apple valley bridge to Lyons section is a real nice float, works well for learning boaters. We also cleaned up some of the wood in the apple valley section a few weeks ago. was able to widen up the "Arch" under the tree that was river wide below the old heath club/resturaunt/church next to 36.
DaleTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #6
Along these lines...

Myself and partner in crime decided to float from the "Normal" SSV takeout (mile marker 30) down to BB hole. Definitely an adventure. About 5 Barbwire fences to sneak, and two damns with serious consequences snuck up on us. We learned some interesting techniques ranging from:

1) Dropping the paddle on the cockpit and lifting the fence while leaning back to scoot the fence. The fences can’t easily be seen until your ON THEM! Yipes...

2) Dodging (or not) & piercing trees while in the middle of a rapid.

3) Quick eddy outs before the damns one with barb wire.4)

4) Ah yes and the sneak under a bridge that only had a couple of feet of clearance. Didn’t have to roll upside down, but with a little more water, that would be the technique...
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005   #7
Boulder, Colorado
thank you all for your perspectives, I am glad I asked!!!! guess i'll stick to the upper stretches of the river! Thanks for clearing out the wood on the apple valley stretch, can't wait to check it out!