Old 08-22-2013   #11
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by streetdoctor View Post
A question along those lines... Do WW classes teach to throw overhand? All my training has always taught me to throw underhand if feasible and im pretty damn accurate.
Underhand isn't always an option. Being able to throw with distance and accuracy overhand and side arm are pretty important too. Coiled throws are under practiced but super important. First throws don't always work, and full deployment isn't always good either.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013   #12
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Throwing Bags

I have found over the years and for me personally I'm better throwing a bag overhand. I grew up throwing footballs and not softballs and it just more natural to a point. It really comes down to the size of the throwbag and amount of water load. Waist worn, kayak 50' bags, small cord stuff is all overhand. My large rope, long line 70', hanging from my raft bag is underhand. I spent time learning to throw underhand as a guide, but it didn't come naturally for me.

On a side note: It doesn't matter how you throw it, if it's not packed right and prepped before each trip. I have a jacked up knuckle due to a borrowed throwbag at a boat recovery. I was out in the river, on a rock, and clipped a throw bag handed to me from shore. The rope failed to deploy after ten feet, wrapped around my hand, dragging me off the rock, into a river over head deep, stretched tight between a pinned kayak and a kayaker turned upside down trying to fairy a knotted up throwrope to the farside of the river. Pack that shit right yo.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
i like how dave made the most of a few precious seconds to do things right. clipping his tow tether to his own boat to get out in an awkward place was good.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The best way to throw the bag is the way you practice throwing the bag. So practice.

Glenn makes a great point about not always wanting full deployment. In the rescue above the waterfall if the bag missed and then fully deployed would you be able to pull it back in for a second attempt?

Great rescue Fusilli.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #15
Nice work Dave. You might just make Roll Model Status after all.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #16
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Rather impressive composure.
On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013   #17
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
strong work. So what happened next?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #18
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
strong work. So what happened next?
From Dave... They sent down an Astral vest with an integral harness and 3? guys dead lifted the swimmer out above the eddy. Before the swimmer was hauled up he helped Dave back in his boat. The swimmer's boat was stuck recircing in the hole at the bottom of the big drop. Some of the support tried to anticipate when the boat would be "out of the way" while still in the hole and signal him to go but Dave waited until the boat finally washed out. Said it was close to 2? hours between running the 2 drops.

Just amazing footage of amazing composure and execution by Dave.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote