Old 08-27-2007   #11
Eldora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I am really not here to argue with anyone and do any name calling. I just read the replies to the post and they seemed a little greedy. To answer your question, yes I have done some safety kayaking. I made a living at it for 13 years, doing different types of work, anything from doing safety for raft companies, to different types of races like the Eco-Challenge, and doing safety and rigging for movies and tv shows. So, yes, I do know what it takes to safety boat, and yes, it does have some dull moments. I have also done it for money and for fun as a volunteer, I do have a good time with it. Unfortunately I will not be able to do it for this event because I have to go to a wedding, otherwise I would. And I had never heard of it before I saw this post, but it does sound like it could be a good time. All I am saying is choose to do it or don't, but some of those replies sounded like they came from some winey people, and no one really likes to listen to people wine.

skogorbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #12
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
First, obviously anyone complaining about this deal is not good enough to be a safety boater. Gore is directly upstream.

Any competent safety boater says, "Hey, I was gonna be at gore that saturday. Now I'll just style that jazz (Gore) solo as the sun rises, laugh at some carnage down at eye of the needle, eat a free lunch, and walk away with a new shirt on my back, $50 in the pocket, and the weekend paid off. Bonus points for schmoozin down at Rancho with the cute adventure racers after pulling them out of the drink." That's a stylin day (at work?). If you'd rather go climbin - I'd say you'd fit in with that snooty crowd better anyway. After all, adventure races are not making anyone rich, just a living made outside instead of the denver cubicle. A lot like kayak companies.

Did I mention that the paddle into Gore at sunrise is spectacular. I've seen moose, bald eagles, osprey, pelicans and tons of other birds I can't name. Plus, the deal has been $100 cash - probably still true. So all you people psyched on kayaking - go get it. Otherwise feel free to get negative on any of the climbing forums.

P.S. Gore safety kayakers generally make $95.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #13
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Good point. I like stirring up conflict on threads, so I'll take the responses as a compliment. As far as running Gore solo in the morning, I'll pass and give anybody running the meat line through gore and tunnel solo a nod of admiration the same way I give solo climbers that nod, though it is not for me, and I think they are a little crazy. I don't think I am snooty, I just divide my year up into seasons, and despite the urging of many of my boating friends, I hang up the paddle after Fibark, though I might run Gore once or go socialy boating once. I was considering this event, not cause of the money, and might still do it, though I doubt they want my help, cause I'm not down with running the meat line solo. It would not be for the money, it would be for the social experience. But honestly, safety boating is pretty boring, with the chance of some extreme excitment no one wants. I wasn't trying to be snooty or call people names, I was just bored trying to get this thread going, and nothing does that better than some good old conflict. On a postive note, all this conflict keeps the thread on top, and I hope they get lots of people to do it.

I do know what you mean about the snooty climbing crowd. I struggle with those types, but it is unfair to call the whole climbing community snooty. There are snooty boaters too, but I will give it to you that there seem to be more snooty climbers then snooty boaters. But with anything, the intermediates tend to satisfy that statement, the experts seem to get over themselves and see the core of why we do what we do...Endorphins!!! By the way, I don't know how to spell
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #14
Spend the night a Pumphouse. Watch the milky way pass you by. Wake up and float down to needles eye with you legs streched out on your deck. Help some crashed racers. Eat a free lunch. Put on your new T-shirt and float to Rancho for a few beers and a KK burger. Hell yeah!!! That's a great way to spend a late summer day.

I wish I could enjoy my Satruday like that.

farp is offline   Reply With Quote