Old 05-20-2013   #11
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
RIP Wayne.

Great memories of him on Gore, Piedra and Cross. He was so enthusiastic about rowing hard whitewater and the river in general.

What a great spirit. He will be missed.

Here he is on the Piedra last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	416250_599692719476_1714341153_o.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	6282  

Rez072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #12
Met Wayne three years ago thru Mountainbuzz. Did a lot of rivers with him in the last 3 years, Gore, Cross, Poudre, Clear Creek, Arkansas and many more.

Will miss his great spirit and always a smile. Last saw him at Golden City Brewery on a cold winter day and we spent two hours around the fire talking about the upcoming boating season.

Wayne, you will truly be missed.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This is so sad to hear. I had the great pleasure of paddling with Wayne on several MF Salmon trips. His presence always helped give those trips a special character that made them some of my most memorable. I haven't seen him since the Gore race a few years back when he swam in Gore and had his oar locks sheared off. I paddled with him and Keith to retrieve his cat the next day. Turns out Gore isn't the best place for a kayaker to start R2'ing. Wayne roped me out of the water in Gore Rapid and then Toilet bowl, laughing with a big smile on his face. What a fun day on the river...I'm just sad it turned out to be the last day we shared on the river. My thoughts are with his family.
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #14
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by rivrrunr View Post
I have heard from his family that he was on the second river day of his annual pilgrimage to the Salmon, and had walked downstream to scout a rapid. When he did not immediately return, other members including a physician who is often on that trip each year walked to find him. When they found him they attempted CPR for about 45 minutes but could not revive him.

Originally Posted by SueCherry View Post
I am sad to hear about Wayne's death, but I am glad that he was on a river trip doing what he loved.

Rest in peace, Wayne.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. It had to be a tragic trip for those involved--I hope they can find peace in knowing he was doing what he loved.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sad to hear... I also remember Wayne from that legendary gorge run. We sure didn't encounter any other rafters braving it at that high of a flow. Memorable guy with a memorable rig. RIP
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #16
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I met Wayne through the Buzz. Within five minutes, I was taking notes as he turned a chaotic cluster of rafters into a cohesive group. I learned more every time we were on the water together, whether history, better rowing, side surf a raft, or to follow his directions but not his line to avoid the meat. I'll miss his huge grin, infectious enthusiasm, and gentle mentor-ship. My thoughts are with his family and friends.
slowgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #17
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I met Wayne on an April day three years ago when my brother and I went to go check out Cross Mountain. We were clueless about the place and weren't sure how to go about scouting the run. He and Dave pulled up and got big, knowing smiles on their faces as they offered to show us through. I've never rigged up so fast. He showed me my favorite run.

I can't say enough about how kind and helpful he always was. Agreed. Best rafter I have ever met.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #18
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Wayniac is my Uncle Wayne. He taught me how to boat on the Poudre, Colorado, and Arkansas as a little girl. He taught me everything I know about the river. I became a raft guide for 9 years because of him. But most importantly, he was a kind, loving father, grandfather, husband, and uncle. It's so hard to believe he is gone. The river will never be the same. For those who are close, his family is working on planning a remembrance trip for him. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
RiverGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #19

Sorry for the loss of your uncle. I know how important family was to Wayne and how much he enjoyed river time with family. How about a river trip for his
MANY boating friends and family where we could run one of his favorite rivers and drink beer and tell "Wayne" stories around a camp fire?

Brian, Wayne had never done Slaughterhouse and you haven't done Numbers, I was looking forward to joining you both for the weekend both those issues were solved. I'm sure Slaughterhouse is one of very few Class 4 runs Wayne did not get to.

Going to miss his smile, his willingness to share his knowledge and his obvious joy on the river.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #20
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I have been at a loss for words since I first got the news on Sunday. Wayne has been a friend, mentor, role model for as long as I have been boating. So many memories from so many adventures - including snowy Jackson, WY on July 4 many years ago. Wayne's smile, enthusiasm and genuine love of the river and of people was infectious. My kids (now all adults) adored him and loved boating with him. Gosh, one of the last times I saw him was at his house. I was picking up some gear for our mutual friend, Dave, and I got the tour of his boat barn. He was so proud of it and showed off all of its "charms" That's just one of many memories that I will cherish. Wayne was one of the best people. He respected the river, the people and loved his life, family and friends. There are not enough words to express my sadness and sorry for the family, friends and loved ones he has left behind. A joyful life cut short and he will be deeply missed but each memory will be deeply cherished.

Raftergirl is offline   Reply With Quote