Old 08-15-2011   #1
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Sad news

NF Payette fatality. Heard of this through the financial grapevine.
Respectful regards to his family, friends, and associates.

sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #2
Kayak, Colorado
Boyce was a great guy and will be missed.

Berkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #3
Paddling Since: 96
Hard to digest this one. Boyce was a great guy. Three beautiful girls and a beautiful wife. He pioneered a lot of the hardest stuff in the northeast and still ran the shite at age 55. "Owner" of LL Kayaks and big time guy at Fidelity with his degrees coming from Harvard. Strong friend of AW. I spent some quality boating time with Boyce, but not nearly enough... Words are always inadequate at a time like this... Much love to the LL family and to his family and many friends.

Here's a link to how Boyce often rolled.

4Corners Riversports Whitewater Kayak Blog: Upper Animas High Water - by Woody Callaway
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
I just paddled the North fork with Boyce two weeks ago. Very solid paddler and great guy. I got my ass kicked in Taffy and Anne (Boyces wife) hung with me and took me down to watch the rest of the run of the boys. He was a monster in kayaking and will be missed by the NF crew. Very sad year in kayaking. Be safe out there
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #5
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
This is so incredibly sad. Especially with the Labor Day weekend NF boating festivities around the corner, it is a wake up call to remember the penalty factor, especially on that river. So so sorry to his wife and girls, his friends, and the entire kayaking/boating community that knew him.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #6
It is very sad indeed... Boyce was an amazing guy. I made it to his place several times for his annual Spring party which supported AW and helped the connect the paddlers in the New England area.

I have a vivid memory of him psyched about the lastest Liquid Logic design and being dragged out ot his back yard to see it...

My condolences to his family.

kglaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #7
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Boyce was a great guy and a huge supporter all things whitewater. My heart goes out to the Greer, Legacy and Canyons Inc. families. Boyce, you will be missed. Tony
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #8
Wow, interesting story. Nice to see a big shot corporate guy appreciate the beauty of the river and kayaking. Too bad about the ending. At least it sounds like money isn't a problem for his family.

Running hard stuff with small kids at home--I hope it was something he talked with his wife about and she was OK with it. My wife told me she couldn't handle my death so I don't take risks and I avoid the hard stuff. She knows I can't eliminate all risks in life.

I'd like to hear more about what happened. I am loosing ability as I get old and its tough for me judge my limits. Your body really goes downhill age 45-50. Is that what happened here and is there a lesson in the accident?

Presumably he wasn't boating alone? This was class V? Was he just not up to the run? Or did something more freakish than usual happen?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #9
Paddling Since: 96
"basil", Boyce was a stud. Yes, the North Fork is class 5, especially Jacob's Ladder where it apparently happened. He had paddled it the day before, he wasn't alone. It wasn't near the top of his ability. He boated his entire adult life, his wife was more than aware of what he was doing. I passed 45-50 10-15 years ago and didn't notice that being a particular milestone of decline. Go easy here, a lot of people are still absorbing this. He was supremely competent in everything he did.

RIP Boyce
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #10
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Basil, i'm with Phil. Walk softly here. Boyce was the man. He has paddled the NF more this year then most paddle it in their life. It happened in Taffy just below the bottom of Jakes. No lessons to learn here as he took some heavy rocks. His wife Anne supported him in everything he did and was there.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote