Old 08-28-2004   #1
S6 what?

What is the difference between the S6, the S6x, and the S6f? They look really close. How are they speed wise?

Float_a_brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #2
many differences. too many. you need to boat them.

BHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #3
That is the problem, I am in michigan and there isnt any shops with ww kayaks.
Old 08-29-2004   #4
Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

you should move
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #5
I wish it was that easy. But untill it is that easy, looks like I'm stuck in michigan. I somebody could just tell me some of the differences that would be very helpfull.

Old 08-31-2004   #6
Automotive Engineering
Send a message via MSN to dtom
The difference is levels of refinement of design.

first came the S6 in 2002
then the S6X in 2003
then last the S6F in 2004

With the original S6, you have a nice little boat in a couple of different sizes (190 and 200), nice and narrow so it carves quickly from edge to edge when surfing. It's got some breaker lines across the hull so that there is kind of a spin disk sort of thing under you, which makes it pretty loose on a wave. Pyranha also added loop pockets to the front and rear, they look a little like gills.

But there weren't enough sizes for everyone, so along comes the S6X. You get the 185, 195 and 205. Pyranha took away the breaker lines in the hull (made it smooth tip to stern) added a bunch of bolt-on doodads, like a half dozen fins and a mystery hull plate and some loop pocket enhancers. They also upped the rocker, kicking up the nose and tail substantially. A good boat, it taught me how to loop.

And now along comes the S6F. All of the doodads from the S6X are gone except for a pair of fin mount points. The hull breaker bars are back, and the rocker has been mellowed down a smidge. There are still 3 sizes, and they are 191, 192 and 193. It looks like a solid design to me.

All the variants are pretty quick edge-to-edge on a wave, and in terms of looseness, I'd put the F above the original S6 and both above the X. As always though, comfort and boat fit comes far above boat design. Getting the right size boat and adjusting it to fit you properly is crucial.

dtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #7
Thanx tom, that helps a lot, but I got one more for ya. What boat is the fastest?

Old 08-31-2004   #8
To be a jerk... None of them are fast, no playboat is.

That being said if you are looking to learn to loop and still be able to do in the water tricks and the newest areal moves, and you are ucky enough to find one that fits you well, than look at the S6F.
The evolution of the boats goes like this:
First the s6 is designed to surf and spin first but still go big on off the water for looping.
Than a whole lot of new arial moves are invented and the s6x came out so we could do them, but where that design excells in the air it looses a lot of it's surf ability.
So they make the s6F which combines the best aspects of both boats, It is as fast and loose as the original but flies as well as the X(almost).
To sum it up I'ld get the S6F which also, as a side note, has the most refined outfitting of the lot.

Hope that helps!
casanovaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #9
I have an F 192 and as far as play boats go it is fast. I have paddled them all and i think the F and the ZG are the fastest in and out of eddies and on waves. On a wave the F is a little nicer due to the front rocker b/c it doesn't pearl.
What are you boating now and what do you want the new boat to do?
BHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #10
I have a Dagger ID 7.0. I am doing mostly surfing 5-6 foot waves in Lake Michigan, but am hoping to do more ww next year. The ID seems very slow for a 7ft boat, but it could just be me. I was having trouble keeping the front from submarining on the steep waves. I tried lifting a knee, but that still didnt work. I think that I could ride them with either a faster boat, or with a shorter boat.