Old 09-01-2004   #11
Ok others can chime in too. If front surfing is your gig then why do you want an aggressive aerial play boat? Why wouldn't you want a surf boat?

BHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #12
I assume by your questions youÂ’re an intermediate paddler. I currently own a S6, ZG and have paddled a S6F a few times. The S6 has a much more stable base and is much more forgiving the then S6F or the ZG, it will be easier to down river kayak as well as stay up right in Holes and waves. You are kidding about the speed question?

David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #13
Bheart- I guess you have never seen a Michigan wave. They are too steep for any boat over 8ft. I was also told that they were good flatwater boats...

Float_a_brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004   #14
I grew up on the west shore of Michigan & I agree that the waves out there are different than waves in the ocean. I think it has to do with no tide (wind only) and the sand bottom, rather than some kind of coral. I have paddled all 3 of the S6 models and currently own the F. I think you would have a great time with either the F or the standard S6; however the F is shorter and may be easier to deal with the steep faces. I think it has more rocker too and that should allow you to lean forward to catch the wave with less risk of dipping the bow. I don't think speed is as big of an issue as many make it. I have surfed all over Washington and Oregon in a Pop - a very slow boat - and never felt like I needed more speed.

By the way, where are you in MI?
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #15
you really should look into necky boats if you do a lot of surfing.
i had a gliss and a switch back in the day and they were really fast and loose.
pughjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004   #16
Spencer- I am near Grand Haven (west Michigan). Where are you? If you are near there we should paddle sometime.
Float_a_brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004   #17
I grew up in Holland, but I live in Colorado now. My family is still htere, so I'll look you up the next time I'm in town during the summer months. It has been too long since I played in a Small Craft Advisory!
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
---- Yoda
spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #18
Paddling Since: 1993
S6 S6 S6 S6 S6 S6 S6

So in the beginning came the S6 probably one of the most fun playboats I have ever paddled, then the S6x ( didn't care for it ), then the S6f again a really fun boat. I spent some time in both the S6 and the S6f this summer and I was torn as to which boat I liked more. the s6 is just pure fun it auto surfs its slicey and great in holes and on the flats and it has better rocker in the bow so you can surf steeper waves. When I paddled the S6f I tried both the middle and the smaller size and at 168 lbs I definitely preferred the smaller boat. the middle size was to large for me but the smaller boat was a riot to paddle. It felt a little faster then the original s6 with a greater tendency to pearl. IT was supper loose but no looser then the original. the one thing I did not like about it was that it didn't feel as intuitive as the original and I would blow off the waves some times because I would get the boat into a position where it did not respond as I expected it to. Still a great boat but I chose to go with the s6 190 which I am definitely a bit big for but I had such a fun season in it that I still believe it is one of the best playboats ever designed. One thing to note though is that I paddle in Colorado so not in any really big water at my size in big water the boat is not good for river running and I would recommend more volume, but if you are the right size for the boat it is a great river runner better then the s6f or s6x.

mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote