Old 03-27-2008   #1
S. Platte River Clean Up - April 20th

Sunday April 20th will mark the 2nd annual S. Platte River Clean Up presented by Down River Equipment, Confluence Kayaks, and KEEN. This cooperative effort in celebration of Earth Day will once again take place on and along the S. Platte River through Denver culminating in a FREE BBQ at Confluence Park as well as a raffle full of great prizes which have been generously donated by our supporting sponsors.

The effort will this year begin at Grant / Frontier Park making for about a six mile float through Denver - about half the distance of last year for those that were there. Shuttle services from City of Cuernavaca Park - just downstream of Confluence - will be provided once again and will begin at 10am with a scheduled launch at 12 noon.

Last year we had a tremendous turnout of over 120 volunteers and we look forward to seeing you all there again this year along with some new faces as well. For more information you can call Down River Equipment or Confluence Kayaks Directly, and as well you can Pre-Register HERE

All necessary supplies will be provided, so you only need to plan on bringing yourself, your own boat or other means of transport down the river way, and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.

Looking forward to a great way to kick off a promising paddling season and seeing you all there once again.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #2
Shameless Bump

Just a reminder that the S. Platte River Clean up is less than 3 weeks away. There have been a lot of PM's in my inbox regarding what type of prizes there will be for participants of late. While this isn't a competition and the focus isn't on swag and prizes - more so on taking care of the land and rivers we love - there will be some goodie bags for participants including t-shirts while they last. (Gotta give a big shout out to the Duck Co. for those)

As well, we've really focused on quality - not quantity - raffle prizes which will be distributed at the post event BBQ at Confluence Park. Besides FREE food and FREE refreshments (thank you New Belgium Brewery ), there are some AMAZING raffle items from all of our supporting sponsors.

Looking forward to seing you all there and please remember to pre-register if you can as it will greatly help with estimating how much food we're going to need to bring.

Old 04-03-2008   #3
Good call

Sounds like it will be another great event in the community for family and friends to rally and have a good time.

I have been paddling down there recently and can definitely see the value this clean up will provide to the South Platte.

And hell ... who doesn't like free beer!!

Nice work Mark on the organization.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Last year there were some great finds - like a peddle powered hot pink Barbie Lamborghini, a cracked open safe with its contents missing, several road signs, lots and lots of Styrofoam and tennis balls. The BBQ afterwards was great, lots of food, free Fat Tire and Sunshine Wheat.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008   #5
Yeah, Don made out like a bandit that day.....I think he found a skateboard too. His little one must be stoked!!!!

Old 04-07-2008   #6
Shuttle Information

Shuttle Information:

The best way to utilize the shuttle would be to show up at Grant Frontier Park around 10:00 as registration begins and unload your boats. Please be quick about unloading here as space is limited. Then drive to City of Cuernavaca park, where you can leave your vehicle and catch the Outward Bound bus back to the put-in.
Grant Frontier Park is located just south of Evans on South Platte River Drive East at 2190 S Platte River Dr, Denver, CO, 80223
for a map to the park and driving directions.
City of Cuernavaca park is located NE of Platte St and 20th St at 3500 Rockmont Dr, Denver, CO, 80202 CLICK HERE for a map to the park.
Old 04-16-2008   #7
4 days to go

Just a reminder that this Sunday is the 2nd annual S. Platte River Clean Up here in Denver. So whether you're participating in the PPP or getting your boof on at Escalante this Saturday, be sure to make it back in time for your opportunity to pick up river karma points one peice of trash at a time - not to mention we can settle this best way to keep beer cold debate once and for all. I'm calling on Dave F. and I'll be floating nearby your rig the entire time....

Not only will we have a great free bbq & refreshments at confluence park afterwards, but we have some awesome prizes which will be raffled off as well. Items such as SR Helmets, Mission Playground Apparel (sickness), an off the hook Fat Tire Amber Ale / New Belgium fleece lined windbreaker, KEEN footwear and bags, Level 6 & IR apparel, and more. You've got to register to be in the raffle and can do so at the put-in Sunday morning.

I will have FREE demos of a variety of KEEN sandals including the new commuter bike sandal for any of you planning on riding along with us to try out.

Remember, drop off your equipment at the put-in (Grant Frontier Park) and shuttle your vehicles back down to city of Cuernavaca Park early on. The Outward Bound bus will provide shuttle service back to the put-in for vehicle drivers. Registration and Shuttle Service begin at 10am with a targeted put-in for 12pm.
Old 04-16-2008   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Mark, if you get me a keg, I'll come and float it on the river for you.

I'm actually on the fence as to whether I'll make it this year. I am just starting to limp around on my injured heel. If I thought I had some motivated passengers that needed some rubber to facilitate their efforts, I could be persuaded. I probably won't be good for much littler removal myself this year. I need to get the raft out of storage anyway, so this might be a good excuse.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #9
chilled beer

Dave -

It would be good to see you back out there. We can always use another haul rig to toss trash bags into and I'm sure there will be one or two folks looking for a ride as well.

I'll have to get back to you on the keg but if that were to happen we'd have to ration it based on what the person has picked up. Filled trash bag = 2 beers, Road Signs = 6 beers, Barbie Cars = 10 beers...
Old 04-16-2008   #10
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Putting Mark in his place...the dumpster...20 beers....

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote