Old 08-18-2005   #1
S. Platte Chutes width

How wide is the Chutes on the South Platte? I ran it a few years ago when I first got into kayaking and can't quite remember. I would like to take my little 11' Otter raft down that run, but don't want to get stuck!

havingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #2
Metro Area, Colorado
The river is very wide with the exception of the chutes themselves. I would guess they are 8-10 feet across, but at low water (150 or lower) I wouldn't suggest taking any craft down it.

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #3
There is only one real Chute on the Deckers run. At it's narrowist point, I think it is only 5-6 feet across, which should fit a small raft. You'll see the spot from the road and you can go scout.

A difficulty is that all the water channels to the right side, so in a raft I think you'll hit the wall, but you should bounce off.

The Deckers run is gorgeous.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I'm not sure on flows, it's been years, but I have taken rafts through the chute, 12-13' length. You will most likely hit the wall, no big deal.
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Back in my first year of kayaking I took my old 9' 6" kayak down it and went sideways with room to spare during a low water run (don't know the level). Not sure of the exact width, but that was my experience.

lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #6
Moab, Utah
Originally Posted by cstork
. . . I think it is only 5-6 feet across . . .

There was quite a big debate on this topic here last year or the year before. Once again someone has weighed in with an IMPOSSIBLE answer. The correct answer is probably more on the range of 20'. Even if "the chute" were only 10' wide at water level (which it is not), there would still be fiberglass boats and RPM's stuck in there from the endless line of newbies who run this stretch.

I am 6' tall. Going through "the chute" with my arms extended, I would not be anywhere close to either side. Nor have I ever hit my paddle blade on either side.

Also, think about a "similar" situation in the rock garden on foxton. At the bottom of the rock garden, the only line is on the left going around a huge house rock (in mid stream) and sieve on river right. This line constricts greatly as you wrap around the rock, and has vertical banks on both sides - road on the left, house rock on the right. This constriction MUST be at least 10 to 15' wide, b/c there is absolutely no way to lodge a boat or paddle in there. This constriction is much tighter than "the chute", so the chute must be wider.

If the flow is 300+, I think you will be fine with your raft. Obviously if you have an oar rig, it is a different story. No matter what the flow, bring your fishin pole.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #7
Golden, Colorado
I have a photo in my hand. It is of my wife going through the entrance of the chutes on the S. Platte sideways in a Godzilla at a medium-high flow. She is centered in the chute and there is, at most, 2 ft. of spare room on each end. A Godzilla is 8' 11'.

The width of the top part of the chutes, which go for about 30 ft. before widening up, is pretty constant and equals the width of the entrance.

The chutes are about 13 feet wide. Here is a scale drawing of her pulling this manuever:
| ..........................|
| - <===O===> - |

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote