Old 08-18-2004   #1
runnable park n' play near Boulder?

I am visiting Boulder this upcoming weekend and will have Sunday free for a little boating. I am looking for a runnable park n' play spot in the area. I understand that Lyons and Boulder are not runnable now, and that Golden may be my best bet.

Basically I am am looking for a run or spot where I can safely spend some time practicing stern squirts on an eddy line or surf a bit. Just dinkin' around, really.

Can anybody give me suggestions other than Golden?

treynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #2
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

Check out Waterton Canyon. I think it is probably the best option on the front range right now. It is probably about two hours from Boulder? Maybe less. You can do a search on this site to get a good bit of information it. Also the Colorado Creeks and Rivers Book should provide you with some helpful info on it as well. Right now the Gage is at 596. The color code says it is low but I think that is a pretty fun level.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004   #3
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992

Waterton is about an hour away from Boulder, it's park n' play in the sense that it has a foot shuttle. You'll hit the reservoir about a mile in.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004   #4
Thanks, Ben and Brian, for the advice and especially the photo!

We don't get a lot of shark infested whitewater here in Ohio and Pennsyvania. We are more concerned with the gorillas in the corn fields. I bet you guys have really fast rolls!

I've posted on the trip planner and I think I will give the canyon a shot, especially if others are going that way on Sunday. Otherwise, I'll probably head up to Golden.

Old 08-19-2004   #5
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

Check the flows page. It is thursday and Confluence and Union just got really high. Those run right through the city.

Have fun. I am going to Charleston SC for a wedding or I would help you out.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004   #6
I would like to thank Doug, Joan and Joe for their Colorado hospitality in taking this out of towner down Foxton on Sunday. It is a beautiful stretch and a fun run. I had a great time. Ben and Brian, Thanks for the advice on Waterton. I'll get to that one next time.

If any of you find your way to Ohio and want to give some of those bony west PA runs a try please shoot me an email. The Youghagainy is a wonderful river at a variety of levels from spring well into fall. Slippery Rock creek is very similar to Foxton, but a bit longer.

Also a great way to hook up with paddlers for runs in Pennsyvania and West Virginia is at our club board, We run organized and disorganized trips pretty much every weekend and many weekdays from April thru November.

ark, boulder