Old 06-06-2005   #21
As I was driving home tonight after being on call I was thinking about this accident and a conversation that was had at the hospital and felt I should post something. It was mentioned before to STAY IN RESCUE MODE. This is excellent advice and if you're up for a physiology lesson (shortened)here's why.
In heart surgery, a patient is put on a bypass machine and the heart is stopped; and in the case of bypass surgery (as Pres Clinton underwent) blood flow to the heart is temporarily shut off. To do this you cool the heart to about 13 C and then put lines through the veins that drain the heart and every 20 minutes minimum you run cold oxygenated blood backwards through the heart in between sewing bypasses. So what does this have to do with boating and rescue. The fact is your limbs can last hours without O2 and come out just fine; kidneys about 45 minutes; the heart---about 20 minutes without any longstanding damage. Now I know you're all saying it's the brain you have to worry about--right, 5-8 minutes, but thank to the brain freeze we all get when we roll that time can be extended. I just wanted to reiterate what was said earlier--STAY IN RESCUE MODE. The conversation we had today that reminded me of this was a 70 minute code in which the patient was revived. If you can get the person out and start CPR--perfuse the brain and wait for the paddles as the heart may still have some electrical activity, but not always. I know I wasn't there and it is easy to say from my comfortable chair in front of my computer and I know that all that could have been done was done. I just hope others can learn from these types of threads.
I apologize for cluttering this thread if some feel it's off topic and my heart goes out to all who knew James. Be safe and learn rescue and CPR.

medman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #22
Send a message via Yahoo to Kris M
Sorry for the late info on this. The family was too efficient and held the memorial service yesterday down in Canon City. Any condolences can be sent to:

Jim and Kathy McFarland
2917 Sierra Ct
Canon City, CO 81212

Kris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #23

I hope that Kris recieves this message either personally or one of you who knows her pass it on graciously.

My deepest sympathy goes to you and your families through this tragic time. The Reno community is in shock over this news. James was always pleasant to be around as can be attested by those who knew him. Special memories of sitting around a fire on boat trips will always remain with me. Thanks to both of you for those memories. Kris, know that you are always welcome here in Reno.

To the rescue team: Thank you for doing all you did. I know James always surrounded himself with good people. My thoughts are with you as well.

James, I know that you are smiling on your friends as you always have.

Joe Tarantino
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #24
James's family

I saw James's family today when they were packing up his apartment. I told them about mountainbuzz and that someone had written a great "thank you" letter to James that they might want to read. They asked me if I knew any more people that they should contact about his death. I didn't, but suggested they post something on the site, which I believe they are going to do. keep any eye out for it because they said that they want to send something to the addresses of people who were close to him.

I didn't know James for more that 6 months. We dated shortly, but became close quickly. I am so sad and in such dis-belief, I can't imagine how any of you who have known James for a long time are feeling. My thoughts go out to all of you-his friends, and thanks to you who were involved with trying to rescue him.

jenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #25
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
First, my condolences go out to his wife, his family, and his friends. I am so very, very sorry.

I wanted to ask a question about the river this accident took place on.
I'm a new boater, with 5 days in a boat, and hearing this story makes me apprehensive about my choice of hobby. It sounds like the paddlers were all VERY experienced. What class of river or obstacle was this classified as?
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #26
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The creek is mostly class IV, but this was a class V drop. By every indication, the group was being safe and paddling within its limits, but that is the nature of class V - sometimes you can do it by the book, but bad things can still happen. To a lesser degree, this is also true of easier water.

I would not let this dissuade you from boating, but let it remind you of the nature of certain rapids and rivers. From what I've seen in the AW journal, you can usually split WW deaths into two categories, experts running class V, and morons in over their heads (K-Mart raft at flood stage). There is usually a death in the class III-IV range every year, but that is the smallest category it seems. If you begin and continue boating wisely, you will lower your chances greatly, particularly if you don't run class V creeks - because, as happened here, even when you make every attempt to do the right thing, sometimes very bad things can still happen on class V.

My condolences to James' family and friends.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #27
Send a message via Yahoo to Kris M
Thanks for all the kind thoughts and words from the Reno folks and others. I knew the guys out there and they were great to paddle and have as friends. RenoRob helped me learn to roll and took us on our first trip down the Truckee. He was the guy that was always eager to take the newbies on their first trip down the Truckee.

Even though James and I were not able to see things the same way, his passing has not been easy. As his ex-wife, I just want to say a public thanks to the guys he was with and the group that showed at the services. It meant a lot to the family.

Kris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #28
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Family and friends of James,
Yesterday I found a paddle on lower south boulder creek below where James passed. I'm not sure that it's his, but if it is I'd like to see what his family wants done with it. Feel free to call me or send me an email or PM.
(303) 594-9733
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #29
If you found an AT2 with a blue repair job on one of the blades then it is his. If so can you get a hold of me. I will let his parents know. Thanks.

NYdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #30

News like this.......... My heart goes out to everyone whose lives James has touched over the last 34 years.

I had the great pleasure of boating with James many times during his time here in Reno... Most of us here in the Reno paddle community can recall numerous memories on the Americans and Yubas with James.

The three words that come to mind when I think of James are "generous, kind and passionate". I say "generous" for the many stories that are and will be posted here on Boof and Mountainbuzz, I say "kind" for the guy I knew off the water, and I say "passionate" for the unrelenting focus that James gave everyday to his will to be on the water.

Before James left Reno he shared with me a dream that he had to open a kayak shop in Colorado. Now, I never caught wind of that dream ever coming to fruition, but whether it did or did not happen - I know James was always in the height of his happiness when life had anything to do with kayaking......

My deepest regards to Kris and his family. James was loved by many, and will be missed by all.

Grant Korgan
Reno, NV

If Ceremony info exists - please call me (775) 560 8880

korg is offline   Reply With Quote