Old 05-27-2008   #1
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001

For those of you who were scared away this past weekend by the high water on the Colorado, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! We pretty much had the whole Black Rocks area to ourselves. I-70 was closed Thursday night when we pulled into Fruita so we were thinking we wouldn't be able to go Friday a.m. But all was well and we put-in at Rimrock Adventures (38,000 cfs) without a hitch.

Sunday when we left Black Rocks we ran into some pretty rude boaters. What ever happened to RIVER ETIQUETTE???!!!

Sitting at our campsite getting ready to pack up when two or three rafters, not in their boats, come walking up and looking around. We tell them we'll be outta here in two hours. So they say thanks! All but one guy leaves. He mills around looking over our shoulders like our dads used to when we were 6-9 years old. Within 10 minutes 15 people come barging over the rocks and just stand anywhere they'd sure to be in our way! I'm like ummmm how 'bout waiting over there so we can pack up. To which they just hung out down by the water/our boats. Not more than 10 minutes later here comes four boats and about 10 more people. How GRAND I thought. So we just went on packing and chillin'. So a few of the rude boaters start to unpack there gear next to our gear that we're packing. Let's see, do you think our gear and their gear could get mixed up, ummmm yep! So we decide to say something. Not 30 minutes after we clear up that matter they decide they're going to eat lunch. So, they start to bring they're lunch up to our River Wing. Huh? you ask. So now we've got to say something about this issue. RETARDS!!!

Enough, the point is GET A HOLD OF YOURSELVES PEOPLE!!! Use a little common courtesy along with a lot of river etiquette. If you're a newbie or a little Green with regards to river etiquette educate yourselves. I can only hope that someone in this party reads this post and realizes what jackasses they are!

All in all a good trip minus the "Newbies"

Until We Meet Again...
replenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Ruby used to be a nice trip - competition over Black Rocks and overall crowding on that section has really hurt it.

And yes, there are a lot of impolite/selfish people on the river these days. Everywhere, unfortunately.

Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #3
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Why was 70 closed?
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008   #4
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I-70 closed down between loma and fruita because of the flooding. I agree I too had a great weekend out there launching from Rimrock on Friday morning. (after getting out of a flooded marshy swamp area, since the ramp was way under water).

We found a great site between Loma and Cottonwoods to camp which we would have never come across if the water wasn't 40k. The only gripe I had was on Sunday with the ranger being an asshole about not "signing up" for a black rocks site that on Friday morning when the sign was in chest high water at Loma.

Overall with our secret campsite with cowpies that looked like grandma's cookies made for a super fun memorial day weekend.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote