Old 09-26-2006   #11
ohhh.. people do play trips down there all year. Some local Canon boaters always do a new years trip. Just be ready to portage some ice bridges..... Canon WAOs have done it down to 200 +/- cfs

willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #12
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Just boof sunshine a little with hard left to right momentum and you can catch that eddy right beside the hole. Then you have a nice vantage point to watch your buddies get worked if they're not paying attention.

Stay out of that hole and the run is class 3 at current levels. The flatwater gets LONG and if you like scraping along the bottom and having rocks slam your leather cherio you'll have a great time!

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #13
Sunshine is harder, the hole is about 2/3 or 3/4 down on the right side, the only real option at this level. Boof to the right.

Sledgehammer is Easier. The horizon lines are more pronounced but you are moving slower and should have time to adjust as needed. You may still want to stay left at the bottom to avoid Clarks Hole. It's not terrible at this level, but can still catch you by surprise if you are not expecting it.

Wallslammer has the couple holes against the wall (right side) at the top, but if you stay left you can avoid all that. In fact, the farther left, the easier. If you hug the left side, it may even feel like class II+. (Boring, but gives you time to enjoy the spectacular view.)

Don't even worry about Boat Eater hole. It's a big rock.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006   #14
pnw, Washington
so thats the secret? i thought you were supposed to do something stupid at wallslammer which seems to be my line anyway.

There is one easy line at sunshine.....far, far right.....the dirt path

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #15
I did it several weeks ago when it was in the mid 600's and I noticed a sweet line through Sunshine that I had not seen before. After entergint he zigzag thing you can move far left. The river left channel mostly pours back into the right except for a clean pour over boof into a pretty calm pool. Eddying out of this pool would be the only hard part to this line.

Might want to check it out, you can only run the right line so many times....
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006   #16
pnw, Washington
I saw that line at 600cfs as well, seemed like it would be fun.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #17
student, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 2004
does ne 1 want to paddle the gorge monday
paddlehead21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #18
perhaps. PM Me
willieWAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006   #19
I would say the gorge is easier as it drops from 800. Sunshine flushes. 3 rocks are Parkdale is balls to the wall. That line at 600 looks as exciting as skiing Keystone.
Old 10-26-2006   #20
, Colorado
I saw that left line the last time I was in there, about a month ago ~500 or 600. It was a fun boof over the pour over, but you're bouncing off a lot of rocks before it which kinda sucked. I'd recommend the normal boof over sunshine. If it bores you, just back paddle instead of boof.

IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote