Old 03-25-2013   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Royal Gorge at 190 CFS?

Anyone ran the gorge recently or know what it's like at uberlow levels? It's running right now.... I guess...

swilson11235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #2
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Its a great run at this level, except for the paddle out but just think of it as pre-season training. I dont know if there are any ice dams still but I do know pine creek and the numbers are going. This uberlow level it is at now is just slightly lower then what it ran at for most of last summer.

RockyMt.Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #3
Boatin', Colorado
The 190 reading you're seeing is the Wellsville gauge, not the Parkdale gauge which is the most accurate for the Gorge. The Wellsville gauge is 25+ miles upriver, so not entirely accurate for the lower sections as they have a bit more water. The Parkdale gauge should be turned on in the next week or so.

So, there should be a little more water in the Gorge, above 200 cfs. Still doable and fun, though the paddle out is slow and bony. We were down there last week and there were no ice bridges, but with the snow and cold temps over the weekend I'm not sure how it is right now. It's suppose to warm up rapidly over the week so I'm sure in another day or two, certainly by the weekend, all will be well down there. We'll be down there as soon as it does warm up a bit.
Peev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #4
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Canon City gage was over 300 this AM. There's one active diversion above the gage (Hydraulic Ditch). South Canon Ditch is above the gage, too, but it's not turned on yet. Most of the summer, in normal years, these two ditches will take around 100cfs, in my estimation, so typically the Canon City gage is running 100 lower than what the Gorge is at.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013   #5
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Paddled it a 250ish and was fun.. And it's all clear right now of ice.. And like everyone else then paddle out sux !!!
MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Could you squeeze a mini me down at these flows?
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #7
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by Stiff N' Wett View Post
Could you squeeze a mini me down at these flows?
No problem.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #8
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
You could definitely take a mini me down. There are already some raft companies running trips down there and I personally have taken a 13 footer down at 200cfs. If anyone is interested in kayaking down there let me know as I think it is pretty fun at these levels and have some free time right now. pm me.
salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013   #9
Ft Collins, Colorado
It's a personal opinion whether it's worth it. I've done it down to 275 and unless you're really hard up, I don't think it's worth the drive from Denver or farther for the whitewater. But it's always a beautiful canyon, and if you just want to get out and enjoy the view then go for it. But it's not a whitewater run at those levels.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote