Old 03-03-2014   #1
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2010
Rolling with glasses.

My girlfriend and I want to take rolling classes and she seems to think she will be able to wear her glasses, but I think she will have to get contacts. Any suggestions or thoughts?

kayakga77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #2
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Contacts, glasses fog

harper80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Seen plenty of people with glasses, a lot of people switch to contacts for the mentioned fogging. For a roll class she should be fine, I could not stand water droplets on my lens after rolling when paddling not practicing (sunglasses though).
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've paddled more than 500 river days in the same pair of glasses.
Fogging can be an issue, depending on conditions. But contacts have their drawbacks, too. I choose glasses. (Until I can afford lasik.)
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #5
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Thanks. We have been renting sit on top "whitewater" boats for the past two seasons just doing class 2 and 3. She has some croakies that have worked fine, but we are about to start rolling in our own boats. We ran section 3 of the Chattahoochee this past Saturday at 1.5. It was low but fun.
Old 03-03-2014   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Glasses are fine for trying out. Long term get contacts/ other correction, esp. in humid GA.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #7
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2014   #8
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
re glasses

I have been kayaking with glasses for over 12 yrs. In general if you think you might roll wear some type of retainers. Thats key. In my last combat roll I didn't do this and had to abort the roll in the setup because I felt my glasses slipping off, and swim.
The other major issue is fogging, which is very dependent upon the humidity.Have not found any applicant that works 100%. I have found that breathing only thru the nose when it starts to fog helps a lot. The other thing is that if you are doing a familiar stretch or playing at a familiar spot just take off the glasses.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #9
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I wouldn't use contacts. The odds that you're gonna get water splashed in your eye--and lose a contact--are very high. When you invert and open your eyes, all that water from your helmet is going to come pouring down and wash your (or both) contact out. If you have to have glasses for river, I would suggest some sports goggles and Rain-X.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #10
Life's short, Party naked
Frisco, Colorado
I've always used contacts and generally don't have an issue. I have had to finish out some rapid with one eye because the water hit just right but I've never lost a contract from it. I just close one eye till the next eddy then fix the problem!

Methinger is offline   Reply With Quote