Old 03-03-2014   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Glasses are fine as long as you have a Croakie and don't mind some water drops. If the water's cold you can get fogging which is annoying.

That said, I've used daily disposable contacts for years and even though I always roll eyes open, have never lost one. Might get pushed into the corner of your eye for a bit or slop around on some extra water, but never actually lost one.

I'd rather lose my nonRx sunglasses than my bifocal Rx ones!

yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #12
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
If you're in clear water rivers without too much turbulence contacts should work ok if you close your eyes so the contacts don't float out. In rivers with a lot of silt you'll end up with irritated eyes from the silt and the contacts interacting. I've been boating for 35 yrs with glasses and have found that glasses do fog but a splash of water on the face at the top of the drop will get you through the drop. Not a big deal.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #13
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
This has already been discussed here as well: Contacts vs. Glasses?
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #14
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Don't use rainx on your glasses, it is a irritant and it will make your eyes water after you get off the river. What works is divers drops. You can get them at any dive shop. One drop on each lens and wash off. No fogging is a good thing. I keep the drops in my pfd so I can reapply, if needed.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #15
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Glasses on the river

I've had fogging issues with my glasses, but foggy glasses > lost contacts. I've had too many contacts splashed out of my eyes to count, so I go glasses full time.
thebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #16
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Chums vs. Croakies issue! If you want to keep your glasses, you better where Chums. I lost some nice perscription sunglasses on Deso in a Duckie in 1987. I was wearing croakies. The Holiday guide said, "man, if I had known all you had was croakies, i'd have lent you some chums". Since then, Chums have kept my sunglasses on kayaking, a paddle boat flip in Little Niagra on Cat at 45,000cfs, and high winds in the Mojave desert.

If you like your glasses, go with chums. When they wear out, mail them back with a good adventure story and they will send you a new pair. I haven't bought a new pair of chums in over 15 years. I do know I have talked at least 20 people into choosing chums over croakies, though.

Thanks for the tip on riverdrops.
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #17
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
My husband has had issues with his glasses fogging for years. He can't wear contacts. Recently we did a trip to Oregon to paddle and the weather was the worst for fogging conditions. I searched on the internet to find a solution and this is what I found - we tried it and it really works.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #18
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Does anyone have any experience with:

They recently contacted us about being a dealer for them. I had not heard of them and have not seen them in person yet. Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with them.

Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote