Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-18-2004   #11
Dan, love your website. I'm pretty new to the sport and your videos are of runs I want to do. I'm addicted and since I'm only on day 28, I'll probably be late for work! Thanks for sharing.

MaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004   #12
I think it's really important to point out here that EJ's technique for rolling is NOT a back deck roll!! It is simply a variation on the C-C, with more empahasis on using the paddle for a brace and a strong hip snap. A back deck roll is completely different alltogether.

surfpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #13
Thanks for the kind words.
To know that people are using the site makes the process of creating it very satisfying.

I wish I could get the journal entries up as fast as I am paddling these days. I've got some really fun stuff to upload after I get all the prep work done on the new images, video, and text.

In a blatant appeal for praise...
If anyone is finding the site useful, please drop me a line with your reactions. I will be approaching some companies for sponsorship with the film soon, and bunches of comments from satisfied visitors may be handy to include with my proposals.
(plus it makes me happy to hear from folks)
EMAIL: Dan@SavageSnow.com
Dan Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #14
Originally Posted by yakgrrl101
I've been working on my roll for a few years now (yeah, it's taking me awhile!). I FINALLY did 2 perfect "bomb-proof" back-to-back rolls last year 2nd week of April in the Gunny whitewater park. However, I have not been able to get my roll consistant since. I still swim A LOT!
My problem is that I cannot tell when my paddle is on top of the water in the position to execute the second half of the roll. I do try to do the "C-to-C sweep, move your upper body parallel to the paddle, then your head. . .but it seems that the only way I'm rolling these days is if I'm coming up off the bottom in an eddy.
Can someone invent a rolling maching for kayakers?

It is a super bad habit to push yourself off the bottom with your paddle - for 2 main reasons - first, if you can push off bottom it is proof that your body and paddle are not in the best position to do a roll (c to c, sweep, or screw roll). 2nd, it's very easy to catch your blade on the bottom and dislocate your shoulder -I've seen it happen twice. In the roll classes I've taugh- if a student pushes off the bottom of the pool they either get put in the deep end where it's not possible, or if I'm working with them in the shallow end, I immediately flip them back upside down if they come up using their paddle on the bottom of the pool. (tough love though I warn them that it's coming after I see them do this the first time) I'd much rather have them wet exit than get in that habit.

When I teach rolling I like to focus on what to do right (strong hipsnap and head down) instead of what to avoid (diving paddle). Seems like the students who are thinking about their paddle tend to use it way too much. You can roll up with your paddle well underwater as long as your hipsnap is strong and your head stays down (which is why advanced boaters don't typically "set up" for their rolls they just hip snap/brace up from any position). If you are ever around Golden/Boulder I'd be happy to help critique your roll.

mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #15
pnw, Washington
I will add to that part about being super bad to use the bottom to push off. You can injure yourself by bracing or rolling off the bottom. The paddle hits something static and you are moving. This can create a huge amount of stress to your shoulder/chest area.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #16
Golden, Colorado
I just started paddling a couple weeks ago and I just got my roll on Saturday out at the lake by myself. I did take a roll class with Confluenece the Tuesday before. I only got 1 roll during the class and swam a LOT the first hour I was in the lake. I suddenly just "got it" on Saturday and did at least 30 rolls.
My instructor, Dave who was VERY good, was teaching EJs roll. The roll I have seems just like a c-to-c but with a little bit of backward lean at the end.
My breakthrough came when I realized that my left hand just wasn't in the right place. Just think of trying to stick your thumb up your cornhole! When I concentrate on that movement my roll works. The reason: I think it gives me the proper windup for my hip snap. AND with that left hand up and back its gonna force the right hand out of the water and therefore your paddle in a nice flat brace position. Keep in mind, all of this advice is coming from a total noob.

When it works its sooo easy, no muscles just finesse. I was surprised even though I knew that it was supposed to be like that. If you are in the Denver area go out to Soda Lake at Bear Creek Lake Park. Nice sandy gradual beaches. You can sit in the shallow area and practice your hip-snaps without a paddle and just lie on the bottom and push yourself up with your hands if you can't get over. That helped a lot too.
smolakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007   #17
Ski Patrol
Free Rolling Videos cover the Sweep / C to C / EJ Back Deck and Rodeo Roll

This page has free downloadable videos of all the major rolls
including a "freestyle" hybrid type:

Kayak Roll Identifier and Troubleshooter - Kayak Chile

Southern Skier is offline   Reply With Quote