Old 01-21-2013   #1
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Roll question..

I think I am having a problem with my leading blade angle, in relation to the water surface.Seems like it starts off at a diving angle and then carries on going deep. Even with this, in the pool at least I am coming up 100% on my rolls but I know that its requiring more oomph than it should.My question is which hand should I be using to set up the correct angle at initiation of the sweep[I use the sweep roll]? My inclination is to roll my rear [left] wrist back to bring the blade to a neutral position.Is this alright?

Any help with this greatly appreciated.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #2
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Sorry, I meant roll my left wrist forward to bring the blade to neutral..

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #3
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Have you tried goggles in the pool? When I was learning to roll being able to see my blade climbing or diving really helped me.
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #4
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Pull the left wrist in (hand forward) to keep your blade on the surface, though honestly, the blade isn't the thing to get you up. Get your hip snap long and powerful and you can generally put the blade anywhere you want.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #5
golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
rock both wrists forward

think of rocking both wrists FORWARD as you sweep out. Then focus on reaching your head all the way to the surface, and it'll be easier to keep your paddle up as you swing out. THEN it's all about ignoring the paddle and rolling the boat under you with your hips. The paddle/head just give you a starting position for your hips to do the work.
hope that helps!!!
stephenwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #6
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Indexing your paddle with a piece of rope and some tape will help line up your knuckles to your blade, if your blade is behind your knuckles when you set up to roll the paddle dives. If your paddle is ahead of your knuckles it will climb to the surface. Practice sculling strokes also, it will help you get a natural feel for if the paddle is climbing or diving.

this is all to help you line up your knuckles to your blade, agood hip snap is imperative, which it sound like you have.

also, i know you didn't ask but your head is important too, if you can finish looking in the direction you come up, you can turn it into a forward stroke and be ready for the next stroke.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Like Bob said. Index your paddle with a piece of cord and some duct tape. Set it up so the cord is right where your fingers attach at you right hand and your blade is flat on the surface of the water in your set up position.

I've done that with students and almost all say it was very helpful.

Consider also what your left arm is doing. Often the paddle goes deep from punching with the left arms straight out or staright up. Be mindful to bring your left arm across your chest.

"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote