Old 03-01-2011   #21
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
Time to modify my table to add hand holds. You'd have to have straps through the skinny holes on mine to carry a person.
Actually that's one minor detail Tom got wrong in his writeup.
The table we used for a backboard was a standard 18x64 Recretec Camp Tables I had just purchased from Timmy two weeks before the trip.
One feature of the Recretec is the cleanly routered strap holes that I use to secure the table to my frame.
These proved invaluable in securing Tom to the table for transport.
After this experience, some of the others in my circle of boaters were planning a routering party to modify their tables in similar fashion.
Like most other brands, the skidguard plywood top is riveted to the steel tubing frame.
It would be interesting to try to make a table like Tom described - essentially a backboard with handholds and strap holes that was removable from the frame / legs of the table.
That would have been significantly easier to run with up Tate Creek.
Every day, another lesson...

malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #22
medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
We were camped right above Tacoma at lower Tate, that evening. Private family trip that I'll definitely remember. I ( with many) helped carry Tom out, there was awesome leadership and knowledge taking him out. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well. It was definitely scary but also an eye opener, be prepared for anything.

Dave P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #23
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Wow that story gave me chills. Congrats on your recovery and I wish you the best of luck. If you need an extra raft and body to do that trip from the Flaming Gorge throught the Grand let me know I would be honered!
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011   #24
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Wow wow wow. So much to say yet it seems silly to try.

Enjoy every day, that's for sure.

Good for you Tom, keep it up and you'll do awesome!

Amazing job everyone rescuing, it really is HARD to transport a spinal victim, esp holding his head where the injury is. Someone was watching over you and them that day.

lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #25
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Hi Tom,
I was one of the echo guides there that day at Tate creek. It was an incredible cooperative effort with everyone pulling for the same cause- getting you out as safe as possible. Alex, an echo guide was the incident commander, and I was the one you speak of asking you questions and constantly checking in. Our manager arranged the jet boat and helicopter from foster bar. I am so glad to hear how well you're doing. I would love to meet you in different circumstances. Please contact echo river trips or pm me your info to get in touch. Best, Emma.

Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote