Old 10-15-2009   #1
Central, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Rogue River Questions???

A couple of us have just pulled together a Rogue river trip for Saturday. None of us have run it before, so there are some questions:
1. Can we do the Wilderness Run in 2 days (35 miles)?
2. Who is a good shuttle company to use?
3. Flows about 1500cfs...16' raft for gearboat too big?
4. A good camp for just an overnight?

IdahoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #2
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
That is a LONG two days! Did the trip a few weeks ago and we had one day that was 18 miles so we could have a layover day. That was rough. I know a lot of folks can do it in 3 days with little drama. Two is pushing it.

Shiuttle I would use Galice

16' will be fine. We had a couple 15' and it was no problem. It's a little tight in the dory chute as well as dropping in coffee pot, but it is still doable.

A nice spot for an overnight is Horseshoe. Water is low enough you can set up the kitchen right by the water and not pack anything up hill. Get a bear fence and wrap it around your kitchen though. This would make for a really long 2nd day so it is a give and take kind of thing.

Have a great trip!

Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #3
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
more like, it is a long way to go to only spend 2 days on the river? Absolutely you can do it in 2 days, but why. If I was going to drive all that way, I would spend 3 nights on the river. Consider running rainie directly in the pig.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Plan for 3 days

I did the trip in February (with much higher water) with a group of 40 rafters and kayakers. There are some pretty long stretchs of flat water that was moving reasonably good with higher flows, but will probably be dead slow right now. I think our daily mileage was 10, 18 and 8, but don't quote me. I would have opted for further on the first day (we stayed at Horsebend, which is a great site), so the 2nd day wasn't so long, but it was all good.

I used Galice lodge for the shuttle and stayed their the night before we launched... they were great for both. The breakfast they serve is a great way to start your trip!

We didn't have any bear problems on our trip, though we did see some tracks at our second campsite. To be safe, I would plan on hoisting and securing as best you can.

Have a great trip, it is a beautiful stretch of river.

Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional
spartankayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #5
Eugene, Oregon
I have done it in two day and hope to never have to push it again. Three days at least; especially with the low water right now.

Horseshoe is a great camp and if you want to push it a little further you could hit Dulog or the Kelsey campsites.

I suggest Affordable Shuttle; she has done a lot of trip for us and is cheaper then Galice. The lady at Galice has bad mouthed Affordable on many occasions and I prefer not to give my business to her for that reason.

Have a great time no matter how long you take; it is a beautiful place.
Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #6

The Rogue is my back yard and we have ran it a bunch since moving to the Rogue Valley 18 months ago. I have never done less than 3 days but know of quite a few kayakers that run it in two doing self support. I would recommend doing 3 days with an early T.O. on day 3.

I like the lower pull in for horseshoe bend or battle bar for a first night's camp. Horseshoe has a great place for a kitchen 10ft or less from the boats. Battle bar has a shelter with a fireplace in the middle but is a good long walk up to the bench and down river. I think it is worth the haul if the weather is shitty but others may disagree.

Camp Tacoma is an awesome second night. It is one of the best winter sun camps ever. It is also only 6 mi from the T.O.and makes for a short day on the river. There are also no major rapids that day...

I have always used Sharon at for our Rogue and Illinois trips and she is excellent.

You'll have no issues with your gear boat at these levels. I took our 20' Maravia at 1800 and it was fine.

Have fun and bee safe.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009   #7
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
1. Can we do the Wilderness Run in 2 days (35 miles)?
Yes, but very long days. Much better with two nights. You really don't want to drive out in the dark.

2. Who is a good shuttle company to use?
No question - Affordable Shuttles - You need to call Sharon ahead of time to make arrangements.

3. Flows about 1500cfs...16' raft for gearboat too big?
16 ft should be no problem. Take 100 ft if rope to line Rainie or run the middle chute. Run right of center at Tyee and all of the way right at Wildcat. Scout Upper Black Bar if you are not sure of the line and scout Blossom. Last weekend I watched 4 of 5 rafts get hung up on rocks and a drift boat almost wrap at Blossom.

4. A good camp for just an overnight?
One night? You had better get as far as Battle Bar or Missouri otherwise the second day will be very long. Prepare for rain!

Mark (with 5 Rouge trips this year)
Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #8
Central, Idaho
Thanks for all the feedback! Affordable shuttles were awesome and the price was well worth the $100. The weather was awesome (only a couple of hours of rain) and we did pull it off in 2 days, but that river deserves at least 3 and a layover 4th wouldnt be too bad either... lots of pushing!

Thanks Again

IdahoJay is offline   Reply With Quote