Old 06-04-2007   #1
Des Moines, Iowa
Paddling Since: 2004
Rock Springs Wyoming?

Hey, I may be working in the Rock Springs Wyoming area for a few weeks. Anyone know of WW kayak spots? play or downriver. Thanks Zeph

zeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #2
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Well just down the road in Green River WY, there used to be quite the play park. Well one really sweet feature anyway. Last time I was there it had filled in with sediment abd it sucked. Worth a look.

"Ain't a single rock in this river that can stop us!" Slug
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #3
You could spend weekends in Jackson Hole for freestyle, and it wouldn't suck.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #4
student, slacker, nose picker, ski boot fitter/fly fishin' guide
Yeah, the green river play park has one good hole, -if they've dredged it.. It's 10 minutes away..

Also, if you want some unbeatable scenery, head an hour south out of Rock Springs on 191 to Dutch John Utah/ flaming Gorge rec area.. The Green flows out of the dam there, and there's a sweet, although mellow, float through the canyon..

Literally thousands of fat trout/ mile..crystal clear water..class 2-3..and a couple good waves when the flows are over a 1200cfs. -just watch out for drift boats and people fishing. Lots of river traffic.. but totally worth a day trip down there bc it's spectacular. I lived there for 7 summers driving a drift boat.. pm me if you have any questions about the area..

Jackson, the snake, and the hoback, are about 2 hrs nth..
chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #5
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
hit casper way better than green river

the play park in casper is much better (when its flowing, currentely stting at a mesely 500 suppose to come up this week) than green rivers whitewater parkpark if you are looking for quality trip hit the snake river jackson killer surf!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #6
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I checked out the Green River playpark on my way to Salt Lake last was flat as a board. I've heard they get releases from the upsteam dam around August and there is even a paddlefest/competition.
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #7
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Repo Man on the Sweetwater

Never heard about Bitter Creek Falls? Hmmmm.

The Snake River Canyon runs are great, although crowded (during business hours) by commercial paddle boats. The 'yaks take turns surfing between 'em, and God help you if you get in their way.

On the lower part of Grey's River (a tributary of the Snake) is a reach of IV-V water. Good idea to get local beta.

There's some steep, bouldery stuff on the Gros Ventre River as it comes out of the mountains. Lots of creeking in the general area of Jackson and around the borders of Yellowstone. West and north of the Tetons are runs on Canyon Creek, Teton River, Bitch Creek (all IV-V), Upper Bitch Creek and Falls River (III-IV). Mucho possibility of wood & strainer hazards.

Closer to Rock Springs is the Sweetwater River. There's an upper reach from the National Forest to Hwy 28 that looks fun & not difficult. (Look out for logs.) With a friend, I floated from south of Hwy. 28 to Sweetwater Station. We took a Pack Cat and an IK. (In a hard boat, a helmet w/facemask would be smart.) Don't bother except at high flows. The canyons are very tight & rocky, with strainers, sweepers, and logjams, and some sporty drops. We scouted constantly and on the second day portaged a slot-falls (below a huge boulder and swirling pool) that had logs wedged in it and some spooky stuff below.

Where it comes out of the canyon there's one large diversion dam that can't be run, and another farther on that we skanked (in the dark). Once you float out into the valley it's 5-6 hrs. of gravelbed meanders, lots of wildlife, hellish mosquitos. We did that by night, day two, and pulled out at 2 am. Hallucinating without drugs.

If– God Forbid— I do it again, I'll plan on three days and two camps.

If you like tense situations and no crowds, it's the ticket.

happy boating,
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #8
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Long Long drives to paddle from Rock Springs....I'd stick with laying low and getting the best Crystal Meth in the west!!

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote