Old 08-24-2010   #61
Everyone needs a vacation
Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
A buddy and I got on there yesterday for some good fun! It felt low compared to Sat of Bailey Fest. I know it's about 15 cfs less on the gage, but it seemed more like 50, so I think the feeder creeks are putting in less and less. Still plenty of fun. I'm just not sure I would go with less than 350 on the Bailey gage this late in the season.

Ian- Any idea why the Bailey gage jumped up around 400 for a day starting mid day the 15th? The Granite & Tunnel gages both show no movement for the same time period, so it seemed strange.

BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010   #62
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
There are a couple of ungauged tributaries below the bailey gauge that can impact bailey flows. Craig creek comes in before 4 falls, and deer creek comes in before deer creek rapid. I agree that 350 @ bailey in june is higher on the run than 350 @ bailey in august. When the north fork at pine gauge was working, it seemed like the natural flow at peak could put up to 100-150+ cfs into the run between bailey and pine. At the tail end of runoff, that extra flow is very low, maybe 10-20 cfs. Perhaps it was higher at bailey fest because rain in the south platte basin put a little extra natural flow in.

Not sure why the flow ramped up on sunday of bailey fest, but saw that on the gauges as well.

I'll run bailey down to 300cfs in the late season, and I'll go between 250-300 if I have mank boat I don't mind putting another crack in. 350 and up is much better as it starts covering up the rocks.

Either way, it's great to have Bailey late season... Glad you had a good run.

deepsouthpaddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010   #63
Denver, Colorado
8/25 update...

Denver water is turning down roberts tunnel to ~200cfs today. Should mean 240-250 cfs in the north fork.

Denver Water plans to keep the tunnel at about that flow for the next few days. They plan on taking more water from plains storage from chatfield and marston reservoirs.
Old 08-27-2010   #64
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I was just told be DWB, they just turned the tunnel up to 300.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010   #65
Denver, Colorado
8/2 update

Denver water has held the tunnel steady for a while. Talked to them this afternoon and the guess was that it might go down by 20-50 cfs tomorrow. Won't know if it will hold or drop until they crunch the numbers tomorrow am. Check the gauges before you go. I'm up in the mountains through labor day... will resume updates next week.
Old 09-03-2010   #66
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
9/3/2010 Update

Your faithful second hand reporter here. Denver Water plans on reducing the Roberts Tunnel flow to between 260 and 270 cfs. This likely will result in around 300cfs at Bailey. The plan is to maintain those flows through the weekend with a possibility for a slight increase if demand changes. Enjoy the weekend.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #67
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks Kevin...good news that it will probably hold through the weekend.
Drew J.
funkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #68
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

Flow 345 out of the tunnel as of yesterday and just under 400 at Bailey. I don't imagine it lasting long with the new cold front rolling into town so get some while you can!

the other Ian
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #69
Denver, Colorado
9/8 update...

Denver water is holding the tunnel steady at 345 cfs with ~390 cfs in the north fork below bailey. Great late season flows! Get it while you can, because it won't last much longer. Denver water thinks that they might cut the tunnel back by up to 50 cfs later in the week depending on demand.

Water demand is typically on the downward trend in september, so I'd extpect a significant drop in demand within the next couple of weeks.

Three cheers for late season flows!
Old 09-09-2010   #70
Denver, Colorado
9/9 update...

Denver water is planning on turning the tunnel down from 345 cfs to 200 cfs on friday starting at 2PM and ramping down until 4PM. The 200 cfs flows will last all weekend. Flows are dropping to accomodate a weekend fishing event for wounded war veterans that one of the bailey fly fishing ranches is helping out with. The drop in flows will put the north fork at about 250 cfs below bailey.

It takes 2-3 hrs for the water to get from the tunnel to bailey, so if you put on any time before 4PM tomorrow, you should still have decent water on the bailey run. Haven't figured the timing to foxtom, but I'd guess it would be another 3-5 hrs to get all the way down to foxton, which might mean you could still get the higher flows through friday afternoon on foxton.