Old 09-12-2005   #1
Road trip to CO next Spring/Summer

I'm planning a road trip through the western states for some creeking, play boating, mountain biking, festivals, or anything of interest. What runs are a must? I'm not a super gnar boater or anything - class IV-V mainly. The Numbers were one suggestion that I received. What else? How 'bout paddling festivals? I've been to Gore and it was fun. Any springtime events? I'm also looking for other stuff to do. What are some cool, funky towns to visit in CO for mountain biking and hiking? What would be the best time to be there? How 'bout recommendations for a good guidebook.

I've got all summer, matter of fact, I've got all year - taking a hiatus beginning this December and plan on spending it travelling in Mexico. Anyone paddled down there? Any beta?

Bong_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #2
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Teva Mountain Games go on early June in the Vail area. The guide book you are looking for (for boating at least) is Colorado Rivers and Creeks II. It is the fountain of beta that will help you plan the boating portion of the trip. Google the title, or call a Colorado paddling shop, and I'm sure they would ship one out to you to help you plan your trip!

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #3
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Colorado Rivers and Creeks II is out of print. I would like to know if anybody has any for sale.
superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Colorado in June is awesome. There is a festival just about every weekend (Teva mountain games, FIBARK, local river festivals etc). Just about everything should be running, and every major drainage should have a good Class IV or V run. I second getting CRCII as it is essential for paddling in colorado and it seems tailored more for the IV-V crowd. The arkansas is a good first stop. FIBARK is a big party, the ark has Numbers and Pine Creek for IV-V action, and if the water is big Royal Gorge should be good too. Several good playholes in Salida and Buena Vista for park n play or an afternoon session, and lots of down river play on many sections of the river. Always lots of boaters to paddle with. Cache la Poudre has several good runs on it. Southwest colorado is awesome too. If you are by yourself and want to hook up with other boaters, go to the main spots like the Ark, Cache la Poudre, Durango etc. May is hit or miss as some of the rivers are going early, it might peak late may, but you can still have snow etc. June is primo. If you are an AW member, a cool article on colorado was published years ago about colorado summer trips that you can find by searching the online journal.

Have fun!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #5
Also check out for a lot of good beta that might not be in the outdated CRCII. It's a great tool for the out of state boater
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote