Old 09-15-2009   #21
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
we have had major problems with rangers there also. i dont remember a dave but i do remember a doug ross. dude was possibly a little ill. everyone was wearing lifejackets through island park and he still came and inspected them and said some werent approved, a lecture and threats of citation ensued. then, he followed us and layed over at jones with us. came into camp for a second lecture about the same issue with more threats of citation and it culminated with him pounding himself in the head, hard, saying "stupid,stupid, stupid" (as he pounded himself), about the whole"fishing life jacket" thing. most of the fishing PFDs are approved type 3 (not sure if ours was). i think he had a hard on for dory guys or something, which i certainly understand, but should the ranger be bias?? these guys get paid to float the river over and over again. you would think they would be happy to make sure everyone is having a good time and be laid back about all but the most serious of saftey offenses. if he had been at the ramp to check us in, he could have caught the spare fishing jackets. they had real ones on through the rapids by the way, this is island park we are talking about. a coke bottle would keep you afloat.
Did you mean echo park? Jones Hole is above Island Park

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #22
Paddling Since: 1994
excuse me, echo park. still just as flat. thanks.

zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009   #23
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
The Dino rangers used to sit on a ridge overlooking Island Park with binoculars, and then drive around to the takeout at split mountain to write lifejacket tickets.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #24
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
I think it is because Dillion is Denver's drinking water and they don't like the idea of your body stewing in it. You can pump your boat's bilge out and they are ok with that though.
Yeah, isn't it even illegal to swim there? I know a few people that have gone commando and skinny dipped after dark while camping up there..
Keep Boulder Chocolate
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009   #25
Three trips so far on Lodore, never had a problem with any rangers, at the launch site or on the river. Just lucky I guess
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009   #26
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
I was one of the people who received a ticket last October and I believe I was the one who warned you and your group.

I never responded to the ranger after he posted regarding my friends post on the buzz. Frankly, he did not budge regarding his stance on the ticket. There were no signs and no real information on the subject that we were able to find. It is sad that the rangers job is more to harass than to help people.

On a side note, I noticed a post last year on vandalism at the Lodore TO. My thought is, they fined me and my friend each $125, $that's 250 total. They should put that money to good use and buy a $200 trail cam that will snap photos of the vehicles going in to steal boaters gear.

Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote