Old 09-18-2013   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
CO, NM, WY, UT, AZ, CA, MT, ID, HI (if we're counting surf kayaking)

Chile, Italy, Nepal, China

Not even gonna try to count rivers.

I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
34 is the count. I only count rivers like the Colorado once, even though I have boated on it in three states. I am a rafter/multi-day tripper, though have been bagging some new rivers on my SUP. Most of my international boating has been with my Habitat for Humanity crew and with commercial outfits.

Sri Lanka was certainly an adventure. Here is the link for where we stayed in treehouses before and after paddling. The guide spoke no english, though was certainly a "boater". White Water Rafting in Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka White Water Rafting Kitulgala . still looking for photos of that trip.

In Uganda, I paddled the Nile once with the HFH crew and again a few weeks later on my bday (I backpacked around Uganda and Congo for 5 weeks after the HFH build was complete). My favorite pic below, with a single person standing as we crash through a wave (that's me)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nile wave.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	7124   Click image for larger version

Name:	nile falls backwards.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	7125  

Click image for larger version

Name:	nile falls.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	7126   Click image for larger version

Name:	nile 3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	7127  

Attached Files
File Type: doc rivers.doc (47.5 KB, 24 views)

SeavBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Weird coincidence! One of the best places to stay on the Mopan is in treehouses! They wish their river was as good as the one in Sri Lanka, just II -III.I have wanted to post a pic of what appears to be one of the cleanest 50 -60 ft.waterfalls on earth.Can 't figure out how to move it around but go to. ' parrot nest ' to -see it. If nothing else it will make you drool over tropical.paradise.Don 't know what it has to do with Parrot Nest, but is on that site.Would really like to know where it is!! Cacao Camp Creek? El Chorro on Yalbac Creek? Not even in Belize?

Those Ugandan safety boaters look like the dudes who go huge for Team Fluid.Nice pics.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013   #24
Iowa City, Iowa
The Green in Dinosaur (twice), several small creeks and rivers in the Boundary Waters of Minnosota, and 4 rivers in Iowa. 2 of the Iowa rivers even had riffles!
Sagebrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #25
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
How about # of NEW runs this year? 3/4 of the way thru 2013- I think I'm up to -13 new to me rivers in 7 western states. I stopped keeping track of the grand total 10 years ago so this year is a little easier to recall. Lisa G here in flag got 50 different rivers for her 50th year alive. Now that is B.A.!!
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #26
Ft Collins, Colorado
Very impressive! I've be happy to just get 50 days on the river.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #27
Denver, Colorado
Good category.....impressive feat by Lisa too...where is she getting so many different rivers, extended toad trips?....I was thinking a 5o ft. waterfall at 50...would have to be super clean and forgiving like that pic I was talking about...know of some 30 ft.falls like that around areas I like to travel, more realistic,but does not satisfy the 50 -50 thing....
Old 09-19-2013   #28
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I got a big surface water map from the USGS and use a highlighter to mark up all the runs I've done.... I like visuals better than stats.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013   #29
Denver, Colorado
There used to be a Colorado wall map apx 40 x30 inches that had most known runs in Colorado color coded by could mark the runs you did with pushpins...sold it at kayak shops..maybe they still do...other States? ...Riomapas out of Boulder?
Old 09-19-2013   #30
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
11 Rivs, 4 States, 3 Countries.
Somebody has to bring up the rear.................

Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote