Old 02-15-2010   #1
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
River Lunch Ideas

I'm looking for some new ideas for river lunches. I somehow end up being the "Lunch Lady" on a lot of trips. We usually do wraps with meat & cheese, chips, fruit, cookies. Also do tuna or chicken salad. What are your favorite lunch ideas???? I'd like to infuse some variety into our lunch menu.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #2
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
My favorite river lunch of all time was on the Grand Canyon. Chicken curry wraps. Was a bit spicy yet refreshing on a hot day. Don't know the recipe, but it can't be too hard.

Looking forward to other replies....

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #3
Beer, power bar, another beer.

Some trips I have been on have BYO lunches.
Much easier, no long stop, eat when you are hungry, not when the group is hungry. Works better for days with hikes.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #4
C. Springs, Colorado
You might try using lettuce as your wrapping material.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #5
Chili Cheese Dogs with a side of Frito's is a huge hit.
Big Da
Big Da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
A couple non-traditional favorites:

Greek lunch - Mix cannellini and kidney beans (drain and rinse first) with a jar of pesto for the base. Slice some hard salami. Have a bunch of condiments - feta, hummus, cucumbers, tomatos, red onions, marinated artichoke hearts, olives. Pita bread to hold it all.

Mexican wraps - Mix canned chicken (or fresh if you can) with pinto, black and kidney beans and a package of taco seasoning. Have tortillas, sour cream, cheese, black olives, onions, salsa and hot sauce.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Pasta salads (cook the pasta in the morning during breakfast) are a pretty quick and easy option. Vinaigrette dressing is probably a little safer than mayo though.

Laurie- I like the sound of those mexican wraps.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
For cold weather trips, I like this idea- Heat up soup in the morning with breakfast, put in an Igloo drink cooler. It will still be warm at lunch; serve with hard rolls in plastic cups.

I've made several different kinds of soups, but gumbo I think was the biggest hit.

Thai peanut chicken salad- pre-cooked chicken cubes, celery, peanuts, and thai peanut sauce on wraps or pita pockets. The peanut sauce will last longer than mayo.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #9
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Bagel's with lox (smoked salmon), cream cheese and sliced tomatoes. I am going to write down these other lunch idea's also.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
This is similar to the meat and cheese wrap, but does work very well:

Pitas with summer sausage, cheese, and hummus

zboda is offline   Reply With Quote