Old 02-16-2010   #11
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
I'm looking for some new ideas for river lunches. I somehow end up being the "Lunch Lady" on a lot of trips. We usually do wraps with meat & cheese, chips, fruit, cookies. Also do tuna or chicken salad. What are your favorite lunch ideas???? I'd like to infuse some variety into our lunch menu.

The best lunch I have had on the river was a fairly basic wrap, but what made it so good were the chips, cookies(oreo in this instance), gummie bears, trail mix, and and apple also included. I say the extras dress up any good base sandwich or wrap and are easy to vary. But I like the snacks, made my feel like my loving mother packed the lunch especially for me.....

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #12
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
the best lunch i can have on the water is a heavy duty sandwich, chips, and a beer, followed by a few cookies. i like lots of veggies on the sandwich, a good hearty bread, some good cheese, and a moderate amount of meat. chips need to be salty. beer needs to be cold. cookies just need to be sweet and chewy.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #13
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
PB&J sandwiches on bread (or tortillas/pitas) make a great addition to any lunch, especially if you have kids in tow. They're quick and easy and I think they taste great after a long morning of paddling (what doesn't). They also provide some quick energy.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #14
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
When planning lunches I think its important to consider what kind of microtrash your offering will generate. I recommend wraps as well for this reason - not only are they tasty, quick and easy, they don't require plates or paper napkins, and there's very little food that falls from them compared to regular sandwiches.

Also I like to think about other things when planning lunch: Does this fruit have seeds folks will be spitting into the bushes? Will juice from this fruit dribble onto the ground and attract ants? Will the crumbs from cutting this baguette litter the ground?

This has the benefit of leaving the beach more pristine and discouraging critter colonization at lunch stops and camps.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #15
one of our staple lunches, we set up 1 tray with assorted meats, cheeses and crackers, another with vegitables and ranch dip, then a third with assorted fresh fruits. having everything prepped and divided by meal makes setting out the trays quicker and less messy (though some things like cucumbers and melons need to be cut up as you use them). this lunch never gets boring because there are so many variations. you can even do ethnic themes. not to mention the convenience of canned and dried stuff for longer trips.

though pricey, MREs are also quick and convenient. they allow everyone to eat when and wherever they want.
riverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #16
Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
One tip I learned is... Whoever is on breakfast duty makes lunch right after breakfast, and passes it out to the group at that time. This way everyone can throw their lunch in the cooler, then eat whenever they're hungry. It saves time later in the day since there is no need to stop for lunch...
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #17
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997

Thanks buzzards...... keep the great ideas coming!

I'm doing lunch on an April Deso trip, so the warm soup idea sounds good. I'm also digging the different chicken & pasta salad ideas.
We love wraps because they travel & pack better than bread, plus you can cram them full of goodies.
I've done the BYOL thing, but we prefer to stop for lunch. We keep the lunch stuff in one of those smaller York Action Packers (food, cutting board, knife, hand wipes, trash bag, etc). We also keep a small table handy. When we stop for lunch it's easy to grab the lunch table & lunch box and get lunch set up. Stopping gives the kids & dogs (and us old folks) a chance to get out of the boat, stretch, pee, eat, chat, and discuss the afternoon float plan.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote