Old 09-02-2012   #21
So did some checking around and it sounds like that if she has the papers and can display that she has control of her dog that she will be allowed to bring her. If she needs the dog for some health reason I understand but if she just does not want to leave her home that is not a good thing.

mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #22
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Having papers saying the dog is a "therapy dog" is one thing. Certification to that effect is another. It is really easy to get a tag saying your dog is a therapy dog, while having no training. Hopefully Maggie's owners can let us know what the case is there.

It might also be required to have a medical requirement/prescription from an Md or possibly a mental health Phd. showing a need for said dog.

Contact the Park Service like Richp suggested and also ask if they are allowing dogs only for ADA rules, or if they are allowing them for mental health reasons. If the dog is truly certified, I doubt you will be denied, as long as your need is valid and not a scam to get your dog on the river.

ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #23
Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 2003
Dumbest thread ever

We all get it, you like to smoke pot and have now qualified your dog as a "service" dog because you think it is funny/cool. Now grow the f up and stop being such a d-bag.
Haasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #24
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Dvorak Expeditions...?

A therapy dog claim is frequently used as a scam. I was told by the rangers on the San Juan that they have to be an actual 'service' dog. A service dog is a dog that performs a duty to aid a person with a disability.

Scamming the system, or trying to scam the system as you are trying to do makes it harder for those with actual disabilities from being able to bring their actual service dogs on rivers. Someone with epilepsy could not safely go down a river without their dog who is trained to recognize when a seizure is about to happen, allowing them to get in a safe position to avoid injury.

It is illegal to represent that your dog is a service dog when it is not. If enough people do this, they may make it illegal for any dog, legit or not, to go on any rivers, thereby making it impossible for those with disabilities to go on river trips.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #25
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I love dogs dearly. However, if someone misrepresents their situation based on THIS....please ban them for at least 5 years?
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012   #26
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
But it's cute and even has its own Facebook....

Come on,if youre tryin to scam her way on just to take more cute pics for her FB,then super lame.

If she's really needed,then good luck and enjoy. But it's THE Grand,the less dog shit the better.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #27
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Plus, if you flip. You may have R.I.P. on the FB page. I have labs, they are strong swimmers but they don't know where to and not to swim all the time. Leave them home.
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #28
BV, Colorado
So freaking lame.
peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #29
BV, Colorado
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Taking your dog down the Grand is stupid and irresponsible. If you aren't of sound enough mental health to be without your "therapy dog" you sure as hell don't belong on a 3 week river trip.

How about accepting the rules, understanding why the rules are there, and not trying to scam the system for your dog. You get to run the Colorado, that makes you special enough. The fact that the dog has a Facebook page already makes me wonder about the owner....
Yup. Wll said.
peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012   #30
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
No reply from the owner. I guess she thought we would all support her bending the rules and ruining it for everyone that really . Hopefully someone copied the NPS on this thread so they can look into this closely. Bad dog owners suck.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote