Old 05-06-2012   #1
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
River access below Glenwood Springs

I live in Gypsum and have floated Glenwood canyon down to 3 Rivers a number of times. I'd like to try some of the river down stream from there at least as far as Rifle. Where can I get my trailer down to the river along this stretch?

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #2
Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Put in at South Canyon. There's another put in downstream (about 5-8 miles) that just looks like a pull-off on East Bound I-70.

Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #3
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
New Castle, Silt and Rifle all have ramps as well as South Canyon and Tibbett's landing (accessible only east bound I-70).
Highside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #4
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Anything I should be aware of? Water hazards or problems with parking.
Old 05-06-2012   #5
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
launch-take outs below glenwood springs

From South Canyon to New Castle, there's a railroad bridge 1+ miles down w/a very large pilon in the center. Easy miss either side, but pay attention.
Take out at New Castle is river left, at a small park. To get there, get off the interstate, turn left, go over the river and @ "T" in road, turn right. the park is 1/2 mile on the right.
Silt; take out is river left, before a bridge. to get to the take out, off at Silt ramp, turn left, go over I70 to the frontage road and turn left, at the motel on the right, turn right and cross the bridge and the takeout is on left.
Can't give info on Rifle, but about a mile or so after the Silt take out the river bends right and passes through a double section of bridges for I70. Can't give too much beta on this, though someone likely will respond; however, be on your toes there.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #6
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
South Canyon wave, running almost directly into the bridge pile on at the bottom of this wave train is something to be aware of. It's easy at this level and very doable at high water. Line up to the rapid, stay straight, put your nose toward the bridge pile on and pull away. The train track bridge at the end of S. Canyon is as described in another post. Below Silt the river braids out into many channels. At this level, follow the one you can see down furthest. The approach to the Rifle take out is now challenged after last year's high water changed the normal river left entrance to the take out, which is just below the bridge. The take out is still on river left, but now the best entrance, at low water, is from the right, ferrying hard across the river just above the bridge. Last year, a guy was killed trying to make this move when his boat hit the pile on. If you go to Rifle, make sure you scout the take out before hand. In the near future, the Rifle boat ramp is supposed to move further down river and onto the right side.
"If you boat with your mouth open in the wind and put your tongue against the roof of your mouth, its impossible to pronounce a word that begins with the letter 's'."
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #7
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Thanks everyone! Good info! Will give this section a run soon. I saw the wave at the end of South Canyon from the interstate last year during the high runoff and is look very scary.
Old 05-07-2012   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The South Canyon wave (under the old bridge) has big waves and a strong lateral at high water, but no rocks. Just fun! It seems different this year- the lateral seems to be closer to the beginning and I haven't seen the haystacks form up as much.

The train trestle is a real hazard at high water but won't look anything like it did last year when the square concrete blocks with the sharp metal rails were under water.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012   #9
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Floated New Castle to Silt last weekend.......the take out at Silt is already mostly dry and I had to drag my 12' raft 40' to the ramp.
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012   #10
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Takeout below rifle?

Does anyone know where the next raft takeout is after rifle?

JoelBelmont is offline   Reply With Quote