Old 05-23-2006   #1
rituals - clarification

Great stuff, everyone. Keep the ideas coming... *But now I'd like to narrow my inquiry to RITUALS ON SPECIFIC RIVERS* rather than general boating lore. THANKS again!

aimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #2
I don't think anyone really has specific rituals for each river. That is more of a raft guide thing... The rafters tend to go to the same overnight rivers, and most of the trips have a theme for the trip, or at least different theme nights. They tend to be the more normal river enthusiasts.

Kayakers on the other hand, which is 95% of this forum, are the adrenaline junkies of Colorado that tend to drink too much, throughly enjoy a good safety meeting, and will travel all over the country just so they can huck themselves off as many different rivers and waterfalls as possible. Thus, the lack of repeat of rivers, and the loss of memory from concussions and minor alcoholism pretty much gurantee that even if we had a ritual, we'd forget about it before the next time we showed up at that river.

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #3
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
on the grand you have to kiss volcans anvul (sorry about the spelling) right above lava or its flip time.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #4
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Every time I camp at Westwater I get too drunk the night before and end up dry-heaving in the morning. Seriously - this has happened every year without fail. I even have a spot at the little-D campground to take care of this duty without waking the other hapless souls.

So. . . does it count that my river-specific ritual is to blow chunks on the shores of the mighty Colorado before putting on?
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #5
Vail, Colorado
Every night before heading out on the Arkansas River on a private trip my fellow boaters and I sit around a camp fire at Frog Rock churping a bottle of Jack Daniels until there is non left. We awake in the morning, still half cocked, eat, then drink more beer durning the milk run and proceed to tear up the river (sometimes bark(f)ing at the river). Good times rollin' on the Arkansas. South Side Biatch!

You never say, "I'm gonna fight you, Steve." You just smile and act natural, and then you sucker-punch him. - Steve Zissou
Steve Zizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #6
Boulder, Colorado
On the Poudre Bridges run, I believe that you are supposed to do a roll right after a successful run through "Killer Bridge" to appease the river gods
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #7
I guide rafts on the arkansas river and I have a ritual for my trips through the royal gorge. Before I get to sunshine I point out a rock formation on the right wall that kind of looks like a mans face. I tell my crew that it is ernie the river god and instruct my crew to say "hi ernie" hopefully granting a clean run (doesnt always work). After pipeline rapid there is a smooth flat rock on river level that is called "Buddah Rock" and I will give him a splash of water if I had a good run or I give him the finger if I had a bad run.

hope this helps

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #8
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Breakfast at Carvers before the upper animas
supper at Mamma Boys after the run

my buddy on the new and gauley used to toss pennies in the river to pay tribute and make a show for video sales until he got his ass spanked. now he figures the gods think he was mocking them on camera so he quit
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #9
post run ritual

ok - no pre-run ritual for me, but twice now i've puked after doing runs. seems like it is generally the first time down, and not sure about lack of caffine, dehydration, stress, or combination of, but i've puked after doing the numbers, and after doing mish/poudre park...each after the first time down.

not really a ritual that is enjoyable. i like the safety break ideas better.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #10
This is not river specific but a ritual none the less. And once again this has to do with alchohol consumption but only after dinner once we get to camp.

Anyways here is a ritual performed on any overnight river trip I am on. It is the making of the cerimonial drink we call the "yucca"

1 large and tall 8-12 quart stew pot (must have two handles at the rim)
lots of ice
4 cups of sugar
1 handle of tequilla
oranges, limes, lemons, pineapple, kiwi or any other combination of at least 3 different citrus or other fruit (citris is prefered)

First cut the fruit into wedges and fill the pot at least 1/2 full. fill the rest of the pot with the ice. really pack it in there. shake to settle and add more.

Next add the 2-4 cups of sugar (I tend towards the 4) and the tequilla to within 2 inches from the rim. No utensils are needed to stir because now you swirl.

Grab the pot by the handles and swir. never let the pot touch the ground or touch the pot anywhere else other than the handles and swirl. Swirl. Swirl. Swirl until you can not swirl any longer and pass the yucca to the next person to swirl. Some have been known to chant "yucca, yucca, yucca" but this is not nessesary although should not be discouraged if the spirit moves you. Everyone must get a chance to swirl and this should take at least an hour. If you have less people and it needs to go around again, so be it.

You will now notice a layer of ice forming on the outside of the pot. This is why you must never touch the pot anywhere but the handles. You will grow this frost and this frost is sacred.

When it is time you will know and you may begin to drink. Drink straight out of the pot. No cups are allowed. this take great strength and agility to pour just the right amount into your mouth but you will soon be rewarded.

The sweet nectar of the Yucca is hard to resist and should be drinked dranked drunked by all. Some will soon refuse it for fear of the alchoholic effects, but there is no need to fear. Hangovers from the yucca are almost never realized.

Continue to pass the Yucca around the circle untill it is dry and then eat the fruit.

You are now ready to have a good night's rest for the river ahead.

onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote