Risk: and socially-motivated decision-making errors - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-18-2016   #11

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
See post " Any info on Royak Gorge kayak accident?? "

Coroner’s office releases name of Gore kayaker | SkyHiDailyNews.com

Out of respect for any family that may visit Mtn. Buzz, I won't post there, but a Gear Dealer encouraging everyone to brush this off and keep going ? Really ? Is he mocking me ? Is it just coincidental ?

But even given that unbelievable hypocrisy, I don't think even he would actually send his own son down a class 5 rapid in a kayak. Maternal instincts are just too powerful.

Mitigated risk is and has been done in the name of Money, Power or for saving another persons life. Doing it to mimic a picture on a gear manufacturers or sellers website is not a valid reason.

ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016   #12

Rather, That should read ' Unmitigated risk ' as Class 5 rapids are by definition, unmitigable risk as well as the risks our predecessors took in discovering new lands and defending the rights of people.
Most explorers were paid handsomely, if they didn't die.
Old 08-18-2016   #13
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Not sure the text at the begining of the post is actually from the user posting it, there are quotation marks there. It also may be that the person posting that was doing it as a boater and friend that new Jamie, as opposed to a vendor just trying to make a buck.

I don't really know, just worth a consideration.

At any rate, Jamie's death is a tragedy, and my heart goes out to those that new him, you included, if you did.

Trying to be like a picture in an add is not a good reason to risk your life at a sport.
I've spent enough time risking my life at a sport because of passion, or a level of being alive that it took me to, that I can understand those that do it for similar reasons, can't say it's the right decision, but I can relate, and wouldn't want my friends to give up what they loved because that sport led to my death.
Only food for thought.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016   #14

I missed the quotes. The quotes were from DBP Admin, AKA Dirt Bag Paddlers Magazine. Subsidized by Gear manufacturers. The hypocrisy deepens to an even more insidious level.

I too fell into that trap and spent most my life when living in the city taking excessive risk outdoors. I got away with it due to superior genetics or just good luck. What has actually hurt me the most are silly accidents at home. They, however, have laid me up for months at a time. Those accidents, and their ramifications, are what inexplicably taught me to avoid doing things that could possibly cause even greater disabilities which I may have unknowingly escaped earlier in my life. Perhaps they prevented me from causing further damage to myself, or even death.

The pain suffered as a result of any major injury will never allow a person to just ' get back on the horse ' as glamorous as that ideology seems to be. Those are old military ideologies designed to keep soldiers fighting, even if for their detriment.

Quoting a recent Madonna song, as one gets older ; " All the angels that were around me have all flown away "
Old 08-18-2016   #15

[QUOTE=ColoradoDave;443077]I missed the quotes. The quotes were from DBP Admin, AKA Dirt Bag Paddlers Magazine. Subsidized by Gear manufacturers. The hypocrisy deepens to an even more insidious level. "

Apologies to DBP. On review, I have no substantiation of any Gear manufacturer relationships.

However, for the retailer quoting them, my opinion still stands.
Old 08-18-2016   #16

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
See post " Any info on Royak Gorge kayak accident?? "

Coroner’s office releases name of Gore kayaker | SkyHiDailyNews.com

Out of respect for any family that may visit Mtn. Buzz, I won't post there, but a Gear Dealer encouraging everyone to brush this off and keep going ? Really ? Is he mocking me ? Is it just coincidental ?

But even given that unbelievable hypocrisy, I don't think even he would actually send his own son down a class 5 rapid in a kayak. Maternal instincts are just too powerful.

Mitigated risk is and has been done in the name of Money, Power or for saving another persons life. Doing it to mimic a picture on a gear manufacturers or sellers website is not a valid reason.
I know a few local fathers that have taken their kids down class 5 rapids and not all class 5 rapids are as unforgiving as the next (2 of which have pro boater kids at differing levels). I've known other class 5 parents who won't take their kids down class 4.

Everyone is different, and have their own reasons for doing it. Live and let live. Just as long as they understand the risks they are taking.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016   #17

I can't stop people from injuring or killing themselves if that is what they are determined to do. I can only try to educate them as to their folly.

Is the risk of sending one's son down a class 5 rapid worth the reward ?

Can't that same reward be realized in another less risky manner ?

And if you wouldn't send you son down that rapid, why do it yourself ?

What are the ramifications in your own life, if say you were confined to a wheelchair forever ?

Your not going to see that shit on a Gear website, that's for sure.
Old 08-19-2016   #18

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This thread is very polarizing and personal. Perhaps we should all chill out and let people determine what is an appropriate amount of risk for themselves and their loved ones instead of making blanket statements and assumptions.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #19

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtoCSU View Post
This thread is very polarizing and personal. Perhaps we should all chill out and let people determine what is an appropriate amount of risk for themselves and their loved ones instead of making blanket statements and assumptions.
Yes to this. ^^^

C'Dave, I appreciate your concern and even advocating for your perspective but there are as many paths through the boating world as there are boaters. And yours is not the "correct" one for anyone but you. I started boating with my son when I was 46 and he was 12. You can be damn sure I was calculating risk and exposure and teaching him by example and by word. He became a world class boater. He also graduated from Princeton with honors. The two accomplishments are not unrelated. The rio taught him good judgement and gave him confidence and the opportunity to be a part of an inspiring and inspired community. He now has children and they have been on the rio since they were infants. Perhaps you would find fault with choices he or I have made and continue to make but really, they are none of your business.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote