Rio Grande Flow June 1? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Rio Grande Flow June 1?

Any locals or others familiar with the Rio's behavior care to guesstimate what the flows will be for the racecourse and lower box then?

AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
We're having having the highest flows in 10 years. Box is at least 2800 right now with the Racecourse charging at 3400 (at this flow the Racecourse is considered class 4; for what it's worth American Whitewater has Rock Garden rapid on the Box as a prototypical class 5 rapid at 2200 in the section of the website for sample rapids for different classes, but I think locals my prefer calling Rock Garden class 4 or 4+ at 2200 and perhaps 5 at higher flows). Lately flows have fluctuated a lot . Several weeks ago the river at the Taos Junction Bridge gauge was 1500 and a week later was clearing 3000. Flows depend on whether the farmers in CO draw water from the river, and they can draw a lot! The Box is usually considered runnable (without having to portage) in a medium sized raft down to 700 cfs; local outfitters will run medium sized rafts on the Racecourse down into the low 200s (yes, that is HUNDREDS) . If you are planning to run a 18' rig my opinion is that it is too early to say if there will be enough water on June 1 at this point; even a week from now there could be too big a drop in flow. The hydrograph to watch is for the Lobatos gauge (gauge ID is RIOLOBCO) on the Colorado water resources webpage (I Google "Colorado stream flow"); that gives how much water the farmers are letting through. The Taos Junction Bridge gauge on the USGS flows page for New Mexico gives you the flow for the Racecourse and is the preferred gauge for the Box.
stewart242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
It's a huge year.

My guess for June 1 would be 3500 CFS Box and 4500 CFS Racecourse.
Issip is offline   Reply With Quote