Old 03-15-2005   #1
Rio Brazos?

I'm looking for any information about the Brazos timing. I've got info from CCR and I've tried to scope out the shuttle (but got hosed by snow drifts). I really want to hit it this year, but I don't see how it is possible unless you live at the takeout.

Is there any info on water levels, like a gauge on a main trunk that can serve as a barometer?

Last year I tried to get info out of the forest service about the road conditions (snow drifts) and the gate issue, but the results were marginally helpful at best. Is there some entity that will know (and tell you) about the road conditions?

I realize that some people may be protective of this run and I respect that, but I don't think this river is ever in danger of becoming crowded (since the Black Canyon is very user friendly and still barely sees that much traffic). If you don't want to make it public you can PM me. Please!
Thanks in advance,

bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #2
Denver, Colorado
It isn't so much that NM boaters want to keep this run uncrowded so much as it is that is just as enigmatic to us as it is to the CO boaters.

I have never run the upper gorge but here is the info that I can provide which admittedly is little more than you may already know.

The gauge is visual. Flows are usually good to go in early April to mid May depending on the year. That is provided that you can actually access the run which is a totally different story.

The few people that I know who have accessed the take out do so with guarded secrecy given private property centurions (despite the fact that they have no legal claim to the land) and do so with snow machines since the road is almost always snowed in during the run off. The access roads are unmarked and serious 4wheel even in ideal conditions. Scouting of the access roads is done from miles away with binoculars, atop the brazos cliffs.

My understanding is from those I know who have run it that you stand a real chance of getting shot at when accessing this run from either the top or bottom.

Descriptions in CRC is wholly accurate when they describe it as an adventure. Parties are required to do their own research in regards to put-in and take out, and take very real chances not only with overzealous land barrens but the extremely isolated nature of the run itself.

Sorry that i cannot be of more help and I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

Stay Wet
Repa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005   #3
Thanks for the help. I am very aware of the class V+ adventure factor, and that is partly why I am so fascinated by the run. I have made it about 2/3 the way back to the put in by motorcycle so I at least have a good idea of the rout.

The take out looked like it could be made down stream of that little community as to avoid confrontation. Am I incorrect? Do you have any more info on getting up to the cliffs to scope out the put in or how this is done? I'd like to swing by and check the conditions when down there to do other runs, but it is hard to check the flow and the road at the same time without waisting a whole day (the way I know). I there and "easier" way to do both?
Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-16-2005   #4
Oh, one more question. Is there any better way to visually check the flow (painted rock, over the windows of an abandoned VW, etc.) other than using the T.S.F.M. (tube stake flow meter)?
Old 03-16-2005   #5
check with paul tefft at enviro-action sports in aspen ( he ran it last year with seth hollar, charlie macarthur and some others and has some good beta/contacts.
willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #6
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
hey bigboater, i want in.. i was discussing this run with my boys last night...over some sports beverages....we have a friend that is well versed in the ways of the BRAZOS BOX.....waiting for him to come back to the USA(next week)....i'll hit him up... looking for some adventure-boating! i'll get ahold of you when i talk to him...always wanted this one....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005   #7
Sounds good Milo,
I've got a team of myself and two other people that want in. I think a party of 4 would be ideal. We should combine our efforts to check the progress of the road/flow. Let me know what you come up with.
Old 03-18-2005   #8
Hey boys......

Not sure why "Atom" has not chimed in, pretty sure he is out of town for awhile.....

Although I don't think he has actually gotten this one, he is pretty familiar with the logistics, and close friends with Ed Lucero who I know has run it before........

You can go to his website to contact him.... (pretty sure thats it)

Good luck

MAGS is offline   Reply With Quote