Old 07-19-2012   #1
Moab, Utah
Rincon to VB: how low to go?

i would like to row Rincon to Vallie Bridge this weekend in my 12' raft to do some fishing. i have always heard that 400 is the general minimum for rowing this stretch, but i have never done it that low. what is the suggested minimum to make it through with minimal issues and hang ups? how does Tin Cup shape up at flows around or just below 400?

i would consider other options in the area too if they will float easier. IMO Salida East to Rincon has a little more gradient (tougher fishing) and is generally more boney when compared to Rincon/VB, but is that the case with these extremely low flows? I saw some past posts about Big Bend to Salida East at low flow as well, and would consider that too.

i am generally looking for the easiest stretch to row at these flows, and would like to avoid dragging the raft around every bend. i am hoping to get off the sticks for some extended periods and do some fishing, but if all of these sections are going to be boney i will just head over to the upper c instead. let me know what you think, advice and experience always appreciated. thanks in advance.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Floated it Friday in 13' fishing raft, Salida to Vallee Bridge, took all day (8-7) at slow fishing speed, hit some rocks, technical but very doable, had to drag the raft once or twice, no big deal. Biggest deal is fishing thru the heat of the day, protect the fish and your head! Drop in tincup from the left.

you'll hit some rocks, may get stuck on a couple, will drag the raft a couple of times, get dehydrated, catch some fish, get a sunburn....sounds like a good day, I think I'll do it Sat and Sun! Say hi if you see our blue Jack's Plastic with Riverboat Works frame!

big bend to salida is easier, may have to drag a couple of shoals...

Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012   #3
Moab, Utah
thats a big day, 18 miles + on the river based on the AHRA river map mileage markers.

we will be getting an afternoon start on saturday due to AM commitments in leadville. i have had some good fishing in the Big Bend area, so maybe we will try BB to Salida East saturday afternoon if that will row a little easier. that should be around 8 miles for saturday afternoon and early evening with the only rapid being the lowhead dam boat chute.

is the stretch from the Salida PP ramp to Salida East still clean at these flows? i try not to use the PP ramp to avoid the crowds and hassles, but if it gets late in the day we could be rowing thru town and into Salida East at dusk. i recall that 2 miles +/- between the two as easy rowing and taking less than 1 hour if pushing, so i just always use Salida East. we are in a 12' otter with NRS frame, so i will be looking for you. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote